Help With A Concept on Work: Should be Easy

In summary, when the ball is dropped from the window, its gravitational potential energy increases by the work done to raise it to the heights of 1.5m and 6.1m above the ground. When it is caught, its gravitational potential energy is restored to its original value.
cheechnchong
A 0.6 kg baseball is dropped out of a window that is 6.1 m above the ground. The ball is caught by a person whose hands are 1.5m above the ground.

Questions
What is the gravitational potential energy of the baseball, relative to the ground
--When it is caught? (Is this -27.05 J ?)
--when it is released? (Is this 0 J ?)

just need some clarification...i already solved most of the problem so that I am not struggling with! THANKS erryone

Physics news on Phys.org
They say relative to the ground, so the PE gained by the ball is the work put into it to raise it from the ground to those two heights listed.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
The say relative to the ground, so the PE gained by the ball is the work put into it to raise it from the ground to those two heights listed.

I'm sorry...by your post I am totally lost! All i need to know is if I am right or wrong? because if I am right, then i know the conceptual approach to this kinda question...

cheechnchong said:
I'm sorry...by your post I am totally lost! All i need to know is if I am right or wrong? because if I am right, then i know the conceptual approach to this kinda question...

While dealing with potential energy, you have to define the 'zero level' of potential energy. In your problem it is said 'relative to the ground', so this makes the ground your 'zero level'. Now, what is the definition of gravitational potential energy? Just plug in the two heights into the definition. The results you got don't look correct to me, btw.

(The result you got for a) (only it's positive) is what is stated in the post above by berkeman - the work done by the force of gravity equals the change of potential energy, which is the difference in the potential energy between the position at the window and in the hands.)

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of making work easy?

The concept of making work easy is important because it can lead to increased efficiency and productivity. When tasks are easy, employees are more likely to complete them quickly and accurately, saving time and resources for the organization.

2. How can work be made easier?

There are various ways to make work easier, such as providing clear instructions and training, using technology to automate repetitive tasks, delegating tasks appropriately, and creating a positive work culture that promotes efficiency and teamwork.

3. Is making work easy the same as making it less challenging?

No, making work easy does not necessarily mean making it less challenging. Work can still be challenging and require effort, but it should not be unnecessarily difficult or complicated. The goal is to find a balance between challenge and ease in order to promote productivity and job satisfaction.

4. How does making work easy impact employee satisfaction?

Making work easy can have a positive impact on employee satisfaction. When work is easy, employees are less likely to feel overwhelmed or stressed, which can lead to increased job satisfaction and motivation. It can also contribute to a positive work-life balance, as employees are able to complete their tasks efficiently and have more time for personal activities.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of making work too easy?

Making work too easy can lead to boredom and disengagement among employees. It may also result in a lack of challenge and growth opportunities, which can lead to a decrease in job satisfaction and motivation. Additionally, if tasks are too easy, employees may not feel a sense of accomplishment or pride in their work.