1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a problem required =D

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    cos(x)sin(x) - .25cos(x) = 0 for 0° ≤ x ≤ 360°

We had a problem thrown up today just before we left and asked to attempt it tonight. But I have been starring at the problem for over an hour now, and all I've gotten is being able to plug it into the calculator and finding the values of X when Y = 0, lol and that was when I started attempting it..

I'm completely lost and the next section of the book doesn't really help me out. I know I'm missing something completely obvious, but I'm brainfarting bad.

I was assuming it had something to do with Sum and difference formulas for sine and cosine which is the next section in the book, but the more I look at it, the harder my head is pounding, and honestly I'm just about to give up on it and bring in the calculator with the answers. lol.

Thanks for any help you guys can give..
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2
    This is actually easier than you think. How might the distributive property help?
  4. May 7, 2008 #3
    Sorry for the other posts, firefox or the internet or something sent the post response thing more than once.. Oh well.. lol
  5. May 7, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I got the right reply moved into the right thread for you since the other one got a response before you edited.
  6. May 7, 2008 #5
    Yup, thanks.
  7. May 10, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now, Tedjn's point is that sin(x)cos(x)- 0.25 cos(x)= 0 is the same as cos(x)(sin(x)- 1)= 0. What does that tell you?
  8. May 10, 2008 #7
    uhm you mean cos(x)(sin(x)- 0,25)= 0, right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?