Help with a problem required =D

• Thread starter roadspill
  • Start date
In summary, Tedjn thinks that cos(x)sin(x)=-0.25cos(x) is the same as cos(x)(sin(x)-1)=0. This tells him that the distributive property may help him solve the problem.
roadspill
cos(x)sin(x) - .25cos(x) = 0 for 0° ≤ x ≤ 360°We had a problem thrown up today just before we left and asked to attempt it tonight. But I have been staring at the problem for over an hour now, and all I've gotten is being able to plug it into the calculator and finding the values of X when Y = 0, lol and that was when I started attempting it..

I'm completely lost and the next section of the book doesn't really help me out. I know I'm missing something completely obvious, but I'm brainfarting bad.

I was assuming it had something to do with Sum and difference formulas for sine and cosine which is the next section in the book, but the more I look at it, the harder my head is pounding, and honestly I'm just about to give up on it and bring in the calculator with the answers. lol.

Thanks for any help you guys can give..

Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually easier than you think. How might the distributive property help?

Sorry for the other posts, firefox or the internet or something sent the post response thing more than once.. Oh well.. lol

roadspill said:
Sorry for the other posts, firefox or the internet or something sent the post response thing more than once.. Oh well.. lol

I think I got the right reply moved into the right thread for you since the other one got a response before you edited.

Moonbear said:
I think I got the right reply moved into the right thread for you since the other one got a response before you edited.

Yup, thanks.

Now, Tedjn's point is that sin(x)cos(x)- 0.25 cos(x)= 0 is the same as cos(x)(sin(x)- 1)= 0. What does that tell you?

HallsofIvy said:
Now, Tedjn's point is that sin(x)cos(x)- 0.25 cos(x)= 0 is the same as cos(x)(sin(x)- 1)= 0. What does that tell you?
uhm you mean cos(x)(sin(x)- 0,25)= 0, right?

1. What is the process for solving a problem in science?

The process for solving a problem in science typically involves the following steps:

• Identify the problem or question to be answered
  • Gather relevant information and data
  • Formulate a hypothesis or possible explanation
  • Design and conduct experiments or tests to gather more data
  • Analyze and interpret the data to draw conclusions
  • Communicate the results and findings

2. How do I know if I need help with a problem in science?

If you are struggling to understand a concept or solve a problem in science, it may be a good idea to seek help. This could be from a teacher, classmate, or even online resources. It is important to address any difficulties you may have in order to fully understand the subject.

3. What are some strategies for problem-solving in science?

Some strategies for problem-solving in science include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming possible solutions, and using trial and error. It is also helpful to use resources such as textbooks, online research, and asking for help from others.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in science?

To improve your problem-solving skills in science, it is important to practice regularly and to approach problems with a curious and open mind. You can also challenge yourself by attempting more difficult problems, and seeking feedback from teachers or peers can help you identify areas for improvement.

5. What should I do if I am still having trouble solving a problem in science?

If you are still struggling to solve a problem in science, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can reach out to your teacher, classmates, or a tutor for assistance. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Remember to stay patient and persistent in your problem-solving efforts.