Help with a proof regarding convergent sequence (proof by contradiction)

In summary, the theorem states that if a convergent sequence is bounded above by a real number A, then its limit must also be less than or equal to A. This is proven using proof by contradiction, where assuming the contrary leads to a contradiction in the form of an infinite number of elements in the sequence being greater than A, which is impossible.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ok I am trying to brush up my real analysis skills so that I can study some topology and measure theory at some point.

I found this theorem in my notes, that is proven by using proof by contradiction. However, I have a hard time understanding what the contradiction really is...

Here is the theorem and the proof.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Let ##(x_n)## be a convergent sequence. Assume that there exists a natural number ##N## such that ##x_n \leq A## (where ##A## is some real number) holds for each ##n \geq N##. Then the following holds: ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \leq A##.

Proof: Assume the contrary, that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = L > A##. Let ##\epsilon = L - A##. Since ##(x_n)## is convergent, all except a finite number of elements in the sequence belongs on the interval ##(L - \epsilon , L + \epsilon)##. But all numbers on this interval is strictly greater than ##A = L - \epsilon##, which is a contradiction.

I have no idea what is contradicted and why this is a contradiction. Thanks in advance for any kind of illumination on this theorem and proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
The contradiction is that your initial statement is ##x_n \leq A## (except maybe a finite number of cases). But if you assume ##\lim x_n > A##, then you need an infinite number of cases where ##x_n > A##.
This is a contradiction and therefore you must have ##\lim x_n \leq A##

Likes malawi_glenn
drmalawi said:
Ok I am trying to brush up my real analysis skills so that I can study some topology and measure theory at some point.

I found this theorem in my notes, that is proven by using proof by contradiction. However, I have a hard time understanding what the contradiction really is...

Here is the theorem and the proof.
Let ##(x_n)## be a convergent sequence. Assume that there exists a natural number ##N## such that ##x_n \leq A## (where ##A## is some real number) holds for each ##n \geq N##. Then the following holds: ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \leq A##.

Proof: Assume the contrary, that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = L > A##. Let ##\epsilon = L - A##. Since ##(x_n)## is convergent, all except a finite number of elements in the sequence belongs on the interval ##(L - \epsilon , L + \epsilon)##. But all numbers on this interval is strictly greater than ##A = L - \epsilon##, which is a contradiction.

I have no idea what is contradicted and why this is a contradiction. Thanks in advance for any kind of illumination on this theorem and proof.
It's quite neat to do it that way. Can you do a different proof? Along similar lines.

I think that you should fill in some details in a more step-by-step manner.
Let ##N_1## denote the integer such that ##|x_n -L| \lt \epsilon## ## \forall n\gt N_1##. Let ##N' = max\{N_1, N\}##. If ##n \gt N'##, what can you say about ##x_n##?
Although this amount of detail might seem unnecessary, it is good practice for problems that are more complicated.

Likes malawi_glenn
There's another useful technique, as follows:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. Show that ##L \le A + \epsilon##. Then use the result (you could prove this separately) that: $$\text{If} \ \forall \ \epsilon > 0 \ \text{we have} \ a \le b + \epsilon, \ \text{then} \ a \le b$$

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. This specific value is called the limit of the sequence.

2. What is the proof by contradiction method?

The proof by contradiction method is a mathematical proof technique where we assume that the statement we are trying to prove is false, and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction or an absurdity. This contradiction then proves that the original statement must be true.

3. How do you prove that a sequence is convergent using proof by contradiction?

To prove that a sequence is convergent using proof by contradiction, we assume that the sequence is not convergent, and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that the sequence must be convergent.

4. What is the importance of proving the convergence of a sequence?

Proving the convergence of a sequence is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. It also helps us to find the limit of the sequence, which can have important applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

5. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. A sequence is either convergent, meaning it approaches a specific value, or it is divergent, meaning it does not approach a specific value or approaches infinity.