Contradictory Proof of Supremum of E: Is it Circular?

In summary: But it's not the only thing you can do.From the proof given it can be concluded that if ##x^2 < 2##, then there exists a small positive number ##\epsilon## such that ##(x + \epsilon)^2 < 2##. In summary, the proof shows that if ##x^2 < 2##, it is possible to find an ##0 < \epsilon < 1## such that ##x^2 + 5\epsilon < 2##, and thus ##(x + \epsilon)^2 < 2##. This contradicts the fact that ##x## is an upper bound of ##E## and ultimately proves that ##x^2 = 2##.
yucheng
N.B. I have inserted the proof here as reference. See the bolded text.

My question is, isn't the reasoning "##x^{2}+5 \varepsilon<2,## thus ##(x+\varepsilon)^{2}<2 .## " circular? If we can already find an ##0<\varepsilon<1## such that ##x^{2}+5 \varepsilon<2,## Can't one also claim that " we can find an ##0<\varepsilon<1## such that ##(x+\varepsilon)^{2}<2 .##"? If this is the case, why do we need to show the part that ##x^{2}+5 \varepsilon<2,## in the proof below?

Proof. Let ##E## be the set ##\left\{y \in \mathbf{R}: y \geq 0\right.## and ##\left.y^{2}<2\right\} ;## thus ##E## is the set of all non-negative real numbers whose square is less than ##2 .## Observe that ##E## has an upper bound of 2 (because if ##y>2,## then ##y^{2}>4>2## and hence ##y \notin E## ). Also, ##E## is non-empty (for instance, 1 is an element of ##E## ). Thus by the least upper bound property, we have a real number ##x:=\sup (E)## which is the least upper bound of ##E##. Then ##x## is greater than or equal to 1 (since ##1 \in E## ) and less than or equal to 2 (since 2 is an upper bound for ##E## ). So ##x## is positive. Now we show that ##x^{2}=2##.

We argue this by contradiction. We show that both ##x^{2}<2## and ##x^{2}>2## lead to contradictions. First suppose that ##x^{2}<2 .## Let ##0<\varepsilon<1## be a small number; then we have
$$
(x+\varepsilon)^{2}=x^{2}+2 \varepsilon x+\varepsilon^{2} \leq x^{2}+4 \varepsilon+\varepsilon=x^{2}+5 \varepsilon
$$
since ##x \leq 2## and ##\varepsilon^{2} \leq \varepsilon .## since ##x^{2}<2,## we see that we can choose an ##0<\varepsilon<1## such that ##x^{2}+5 \varepsilon<2,## thus ##(x+\varepsilon)^{2}<2 .## By construction of ##E,## this means that ##x+\varepsilon \in E ;## but this contradicts the fact that ##x## is an upper bound of ##E##.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##x^2 < 2## we can choose ##0 < \epsilon < 1## with ##x^2 + 5\epsilon < 2## follows as follows:

Assume to the contrary that ##x^2 + 5 \epsilon \geq 2## for all ##\epsilon\in (0,1)##. Rewriting this, we obtain ##\epsilon \geq \frac{2-x^2}{5}## for all ##\epsilon \in (0,1)##. Do you see why this is impossible?

Likes yucheng
Math_QED said:
Since ##x^2 < 2## we can choose ##0 < \epsilon < 1## with ##x^2 + 5\epsilon < 2## follows as follows:

Assume to the contrary that ##x^2 + 5 \epsilon \geq 2## for all ##\epsilon\in (0,1)##. Rewriting this, we obtain ##\epsilon \geq \frac{2-x^2}{5}## for all ##\epsilon \in (0,1)##. Do you see why this is impossible?

I mean can I just skip that and go straight to ##(x+\epsilon)^2 < 2##? Oh wait, or is it necessary to conclude that ##(x+\epsilon)^2 < 2##? Thanks!

yucheng said:
I mean can I just skip that and go straight to ##(x+\epsilon)^2 < 2##? Oh wait, or is it necessary to conclude that ##(x+\epsilon)^2 < 2##? Thanks!

But how would you deduce that? The proof goes through all trouble to derive this. How would you avoid doing this work?

Math_QED said:
But how would you deduce that? The proof goes through all trouble to derive this. How would you avoid doing this work?
Accidentally short-circuited.

For this proof, I might prefer, assuming ##x^2 < 2##, to let ##\delta = 2 - x^2## and work with that. That seems more logical to me.

yucheng said:
Accidentally short-circuited.

I guess it tends to happen a lot for beginning analysis students :).

• Haha
Likes yucheng
PeroK said:
For this proof, I might prefer, assuming ##x^2 < 2##, to let ##\delta = 2 - x^2## and work with that. That seems more logical to me.

Do you mean ##\delta = 2 - x^2##. After making the approximation for ##2x\epsilon + \epsilon^2 < 5\epsilon##, we can find ## 5\epsilon < \delta## or ## \epsilon < \delta/5## ? I think it does make things clearer.

yucheng said:
Do you mean ##\delta = 2 - x^2##. After making the approximation for ##2x\epsilon + \epsilon^2 < 5\epsilon##, we can find ## 5\epsilon < \delta## or ## \epsilon < \delta/5## ? I think it does make things clearer.
The basis of the proof, as you probably understand, is that:

If ##x^2 < 2##, then there must exist a small positive number ##\epsilon## with ##(x + \epsilon)^2 < 2##.

One approach is to express ##\epsilon## in terms of ##\delta##, which perhaps give you more to work with. Which is what I see you've done.

Likes yucheng

1. What is a "Contradictory Proof of Supremum of E"?

A contradictory proof of supremum of E is a mathematical proof that attempts to show that the supremum (least upper bound) of a set E is both less than and greater than a given number, leading to a contradiction. This type of proof is often used to show that a supremum does not exist.

2. How is a contradictory proof of supremum of E different from a regular proof?

In a regular proof, the goal is to show that the supremum of a set E exists and is equal to a given number. However, in a contradictory proof, the goal is to show that the supremum does not exist by demonstrating that it leads to a contradiction.

3. Why is a contradictory proof of supremum of E important?

A contradictory proof of supremum of E is important because it challenges the assumption that a supremum exists and highlights any potential flaws in the proof. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the concept of supremum and its properties.

4. Can a contradictory proof of supremum of E be used in all cases?

No, a contradictory proof of supremum of E can only be used when the set E has a supremum. If the set does not have a supremum, then a contradictory proof cannot be used to show that it does not exist.

5. What are the implications of a contradictory proof of supremum of E?

The implications of a contradictory proof of supremum of E are that the set E does not have a supremum, which may have consequences for theorems and proofs that rely on the existence of a supremum. It also suggests that further investigation and refinement of the proof may be necessary.