Help With Balancing CO2+ Mg -> MgC + O2

• Thread starter shikagami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the conversation is discussing the correct balancing of the equation CO2+ Mg -> MgC + O2 and the state of matter for each component. The initial question is whether the end result is correct and if someone can help determine the state of matter. The conversation then delves into the process of solving the equation, with one person explaining their reasoning and another pointing out potential errors. The conversation ends with a reminder of the reaction that occurs when magnesium reacts with oxygen.
shikagami
I don't know if I solved this problem correctly.

Balance the equation:

CO2+ Mg -> MgC + O2

Is this the right end result and can someone help me figure out the state of matter for each.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to know if it's the right end result if we don't see what you started with. Please show/explain your reasoning first.

well... the problem only gave me the first part of the equation which was the CO2 + Mg. This is the chemical process that occurs when dry ice is mixed with burning Magnesium pellets, which creates this fire work type of reaction. I figured that the magnesium and carbon will combine and release oxygen.

Last edited:
The actual question is Mg reacts with CO2 (Carbon dioxide) to give a white solid and a black solid. Provide the balanced equation for this reaction.

http://www.chem.umn.edu/services/lecturedemo/info/Magnesium_and_dry_ice.html

Is it really as simple as carbon dioxide and magnesium?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think that Magnesium would combine with oxygen... thnx stmoe.

shikagami said:
I don't know if I solved this problem correctly.

Balance the equation:

CO2+ Mg -> MgC + O2

Is this the right end result and can someone help me figure out the state of matter for each.
Your answer can not be correct because :

1. The existence of something like MgC would require Mg to have a +4 oxidation state or C to have a +2 oxidation state. Both are extremely rare.

2. You want two solid products. You have one solid and one gas.

Anyway, the correct answer is posted by stmoe.

shikagami said:
I didn't think that Magnesium would combine with oxygen... thnx stmoe.
Well, what do you think happens when a magnesium ribbon burns in air ? It is among the most spectacular and violent oxidations you'll ever see !

1. How do I balance the equation CO2 + Mg -> MgC + O2?

To balance this equation, you need to make sure that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation. Start by counting the number of each type of atom on each side. In this case, there are 1 carbon atom, 2 oxygen atoms, and 1 magnesium atom on the reactant side, and 1 carbon atom, 1 oxygen atom, and 1 magnesium atom on the product side. To balance the carbon and oxygen atoms, add a coefficient of 2 in front of MgC and CO2 on the reactant side. This will give you 2 carbon atoms and 4 oxygen atoms on both sides. To balance the magnesium atoms, add a coefficient of 2 in front of Mg on the product side. This will give you 2 magnesium atoms on both sides. The final balanced equation is 2CO2 + Mg -> 2MgC + O2.

2. Why is it important to balance chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, only rearranged. Balancing the equation ensures that the same number and types of atoms are present on both sides of the equation, which means that no matter is being created or destroyed.

3. What is the purpose of using coefficients in a balanced equation?

Coefficients are used in balanced equations to represent the number of each type of molecule or atom present. They are placed in front of the chemical formula to indicate how many of that molecule or atom are present in the reaction. Coefficients are important because they allow us to balance the equation and follow the law of conservation of mass.

4. Can the subscripts in a chemical formula be changed to balance an equation?

No, subscripts cannot be changed to balance an equation. Subscripts represent the number of atoms of a specific element within a molecule, and changing them would result in a different compound. Balancing an equation can only be done by adding coefficients in front of the chemical formulas.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules for balancing chemical equations?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rules for balancing chemical equations. One exception is for diatomic molecules, which are molecules composed of two atoms of the same element. These molecules, such as O2 or H2, will always have a coefficient of 2 in a balanced equation. Another exception is for certain redox reactions, where the number of atoms and charge on each side may not be equal due to the transfer of electrons. In these cases, the equation should be balanced by adding water molecules and hydrogen or hydroxide ions to balance the charge.