What is the partial pressure of co2(product) given the v,t of 2 reacta

In summary: So if a reaction involves change in volume, you can't use this approach. In summary, the problem involves finding the partial pressure of CO2 after a reaction between O2 and C3H8 in a 1.5L container at 20C. The partial pressures of O2 and C3H8 are given as 5atm and 0.1atm, respectively. The reaction produces H2O and CO2, with a reaction formula of C3H8 + 5O2 --> 3CO2 + 4H2O. Using stoichiometry, the number of moles of O2 and C3H8 are found to be 0.312 and 0.006, respectively
ryu1

Homework Statement

Hi

In a container of 1.5L there are 2 gases O2 and C3H8.
their partial pressures are O2 = 5atm, C3H8=0.1atm.
the temperature is 20C.
the reaction produces H2O and CO2.
Temperature is constant.

What is the partial pressure of CO2 after the reaction? (need to find the reaction formula)
(please show calculations)
Thanks!

Homework Equations

C3H8 + 5O2 --> 3CO2 + 4H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

Have found the moles of O2 (0.312) and moles of C3H8 (0.006) are these correct?, from that I assume I need to use Stoichiometry to find the moles of CO2 and from that to use PV=nRT to find the pressure of CO2.
But I can't figure it out.
Please help, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ryu1 said:
Have found the moles of O2 (0.312) and moles of C3H8 (0.006) are these correct?, from that I assume I need to use Stoichiometry to find the moles of CO2 and from that to use PV=nRT to find the pressure of CO2.
But I can't figure it out.

You have got the right values of number moles of O2 and C3H8 and the right idea to tackle the problem.

Start by finding out how many moles of O2 will be consumed in the reaction if all of C3H8 is burnt. Then if 1 mole of C3H8 gives 3 moles of CO2 then how much does 0.006 mole give?

Be careful while dealing with the water formed in the reaction. Think whether it will contribute to the total pressure after the reaction.

Sunil Simha said:
You have got the right values of number moles of O2 and C3H8 and the right idea to tackle the problem.

Start by finding out how many moles of O2 will be consumed in the reaction if all of C3H8 is burnt. Then if 1 mole of C3H8 gives 3 moles of CO2 then how much does 0.006 mole give?

Be careful while dealing with the water formed in the reaction. Think whether it will contribute to the total pressure after the reaction.

I think that if all C3H8 is consumed than according to the equation, 5 times that O2 will be consumed? (so it's 0.03 moles?)

If 1 mole of C3H8 gives 3 moles of CO2 then I do
3/1 * 0.006 = 0.018 moles ? (=3 times the number)

will it be correct to use the ideal gas law now?
P= (0.018mol*(0.082L*atm * K^-1 * mol^-1 )* 293.15K) / 1.5L

I don't see how water fits in.
Also I don't understand how people in Yahoo answers just figured out that the partial pressure is 0.3 atm for CO2 (just because for 1 C3H8 we get 3CO2 ?)

Thanks!

ryu1 said:
I don't see how water fits in.

It doesn't, as question doesn't ask about it - only about partial pressure of CO2. But in other problems it can be important - think, what form water takes at 20 °C?
Also I don't understand how people in Yahoo answers just figured out that the partial pressure is 0.3 atm for CO2 (just because for 1 C3H8 we get 3CO2 ?)

As there are 3 moles of CO2 produced for each mole of the hydrocarbon, partial pressure of CO2 after reaction went to completion must be three times higher than the initial pressure of hydrocarbon. No need for any more elaborate calculations. No magic, just a direct application of Avogadro's hypothesis.

Borek said:
It doesn't, as question doesn't ask about it - only about partial pressure of CO2. But in other problems it can be important - think, what form water takes at 20 °C?

As there are 3 moles of CO2 produced for each mole of the hydrocarbon, partial pressure of CO2 after reaction went to completion must be three times higher than the initial pressure of hydrocarbon. No need for any more elaborate calculations. No magic, just a direct application of Avogadro's hypothesis.

Water takes the form of liquid so it's important because then I can't apply the Ideal gas law to it?

from the calculation I wrote I got 0.288 , it's almost 0.3, it is wrong?
If a reactant (gases) to product mole ratio is for example 1:6 so always the partial pressure of the product is 6 times the pressure of the reactant? (only in gases?)

Thanks.

ryu1 said:
Water takes the form of liquid so it's important because then I can't apply the Ideal gas law to it?

yes. It doesn't count as a gas.

from the calculation I wrote I got 0.288 , it's almost 0.3, it is wrong?

No idea how you got this result, so it is hard to comment. But it should be 0.3, not any other number.

If a reactant (gases) to product mole ratio is for example 1:6 so always the partial pressure of the product is 6 times the pressure of the reactant? (only in gases?)

Yes, but remember we are assuming constant volume.

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. It is a measure of the individual contribution of that gas to the total pressure.

2. How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the gas mixture by the mole fraction of the specific gas. This can also be calculated by using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

3. What is the significance of partial pressure in gas reactions?

Partial pressure is important in gas reactions because it affects the rate and direction of the reaction. The higher the partial pressure of a gas, the more likely it is to react with other gases. It also plays a role in determining the equilibrium constant of a reaction.

4. How does temperature affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the partial pressure of a gas, assuming the volume and number of moles remain constant. This is because the gas molecules have more kinetic energy and therefore exert more pressure on the container walls.

5. What is the relationship between partial pressure and concentration?

Partial pressure and concentration are related, as both measure the amount of a gas in a mixture. However, partial pressure takes into account the volume and temperature of the gas, while concentration only considers the number of moles in a given volume. In some cases, the partial pressure and concentration may be directly proportional, but this is not always the case.