Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with calculating tank weight wooden stand can handle

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am new here... please forgive me if my posting is imperfect :p

I am planning to purchase a glass aquarium with tank dimensions: 48" (Length) * 24" (Depth) * 22" (Height)

I wonder if a wooden stand with only edge support will be able to withstand the weight of the filled aquarium which at full capacity should be about 500 kgs, though i plan to fill up to only 380 kgs max.

It does not have any beam support bottom of the tank.

A picture of the stand and tank is attached, the bottom tank is supposed to go on the top rack.

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ask the manufacturer of the wooden stand. It is impossible to tell just by looking at an image of it. If in doubt, use something stronger.

4. Mar 1, 2017 #3

fresh_42

You should also consider the ground, i.e. the statics of your apartment. If the weight is concentrated on single points, this might be a problem.

5. Mar 1, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) If sitting on a rigid concrete floor undisturbed then it would probably be ok forever .

(2) If sitting in an apartment with a flexible floor and lots of disturbances then it would very probably collapse sooner or later . Sway mode collapse would be most likely .

(3) Don't risk it . Consequences of failure might be much more costly than getting a better stand .

(4) Engineers logic is that if you don't know whether a structure is safe or not then it isn't .

6. Mar 1, 2017 #5

berkeman

Well said.

@Togmeny -- It looks like you can buy the stand that is shown with the tank. That is your best bet. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook