Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Friedman equations and density of energy

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

I really hope someone can help me with my stupid but urgent problem of understanding something crucial about the Friedman equations.

So; one of them looks like this (forget about the constants; it is about the principles):

change of the scale factor with time - density - cosmol. constant = -k (curvature term)

Then this is sometimes rewritten in terms of densities, which gives:

change of the scale factor with time - (density of matter + vacuum energy density) = -k (curvature term)

Now; here is what I do not get.

Generally the density of the vacuum (or equivalently the cosmol. constant) are treated just like the density of matter; so they have the same effect on the curvature, which somehow should be understandable as energy=matter and so both curve the spacetime.

But then, it is usually stated that the cosmol. constant, and so the vacuum energy density, are working against gravitation (repulsive).

However; I do not understand, how to see this in the equations above. I mean; both seem to have the same effect: energy=matter -> attraction (simplified).

Where is my error of thinking?

I really hope that someone here can enlighten me.

Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cosmological gravitational repulsion means that ##\dot{a}##, the rate of change of the scale factor, is increasing. i.e., that ##\ddot{a}## is positive. The Friedmann equation about which you wrote is

$$\dot{a}^2 = \frac{8\pi}{3} \rho a^2.$$

Differentiating this equation with respect to time gives

$$2\dot{a}\ddot{a} = \frac{8\pi}{3} \left( \dot{\rho} a^2 +2\rho a \dot{a} \right).$$

Consequently, there is cosmological repulsion when ##0 < \dot{\rho} a^2 +2\rho a \dot{a}##.

It is somewhat difficult to see what is going on from this, but a couple of things can be noted:

1) in an expanding universe, there is no gravitational repulsion only when ##\dot{\rho} a^2## is sufficiently negative (as it is for normal matter);

2) for an expanding universe that consists solely of vacuum energy, which has ##\dot{\rho} = 0##, there is repulsion, since then ##\ddot{a} > 0##.

Things become a little clearer when the other Friedmann equation is considered,

$$\ddot{a} = -\frac{4\pi}{3} \left( \rho + 3p \right) R.$$

Clearly, ##\ddot{a} > 0## when ##w = p / \rho## is less than -1/3. Vacuum energy/cosmological constant has w = -1.

Roughly, (for non-exotic matter that has positive energy density) repulsion happens when pressure is sufficiently negative.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Hi;

thank you for the answers.
    I totally missed (or have overseen) the second more important equation in this context (the second derivative), which shows the dependencies on the pressure terms.

Will have a deeper look into now that the examination is over. :) Was a little confused the day before.

Thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook