Help with liquid transfer through tube

In summary: So as you suck on the straw you create reduced pressure at the top end. Air pressure them pushes liquid up the straw to try and correct this. All is well until the level in the cup falls to the point where air starts to enter the bottom of the straw. Then air starts to make it's way up the straw and as it does so some liquid near the bottom end falls out... but it's not equal to the whole volume of the straw. I believe it depends on the viscosity and diameter of the straw.In summary, using a straw creates a negative pressure which causes air to be displaced and liquid to be sucked up the straw. The amount of liquid that is left behind
shnabz
Hello,

Have you ever drank through a straw? Notice how there is always drink left at the end that you can't drink? I believe the volume of this liquid is the same as the volume of the bore of the straw. Now, my question is;
Is there a way of pumping a small amount of liquid (2-5ml) over a 2ft distance without losing <90% of the liquid?

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "volume of the bore of the straw". The "bore of the straw" is its cross sectional area and does not have volume. If you mean the volume of the entire straw, that is clearly not true.

I believe the volume of this liquid is the same as the volume of the bore of the straw

I don't believe it's that great.

As you suck on the straw you create reduced pressure at the top end. Air pressure them pushes liquid up the straw to try and correct this. All is well until the level in the cup falls to the point where air starts to enter the bottom of the straw. Then air starts to make it's way up the straw and as it does so some liquid near the bottom end falls out... but it's not equal to the whole volume of the straw. I believe it depends on the viscosity and diameter of the straw.

I don't know what you mean by "volume of the bore of the straw". The "bore of the straw" is its cross sectional area and does not have volume. If you mean the volume of the entire straw, that is clearly not true.

Okay so i used the wrong word, what i meant was, the radius of the cross section of the straw (provided it is the same throughout) multiplied by ∏ multiplied by length of straw. (Displacement)

So, let's say the straw has no flex and is very rigid, sucking on the top would remove the air, creating a negative pressure? The air is displaced by the liquid, the liquid is sucked out the other end, when there is no more liquid in the container, the liquid will be displaced by air, as soon as the air enters the straw, the pressure will be no more, and the volume of air that enters will be the same volume of liquid that falls back out the bottom into the container, therefore you will never be able to get anymore liquid out of the top.

Well...thats what i think anyway, that's why I'm here. Anyhow, can anyone answer the question? Maybe some kind of device that diverts air at the mouth end, so only a continuous flow of liquid gets through?

as soon as the air enters the straw, the pressure will be no more

That's not correct the pressure difference still exists. A bubble of air could continue to push liquid up the straw. The problem is that for large diameter straw it's easier for the bubble to "push past" the liquid rather than pushing uniformly on the end of the liquid. For small diameter straws or fine capilary tubes the air bubble can quite happily push all the liquid along until the straw is totally empty.

There is probably some horribly complicated relationship between the viscosity of the liquid and the diameter of the straw you need to get it to work.

shnabz said:
Okay so i used the wrong word, what i meant was, the radius of the cross section of the straw (provided it is the same throughout) multiplied by ∏ multiplied by length of straw. (Displacement)

That's clearer. However, it's not true. It's possible - easy even - to leave less than that volume behind. So we can't find an explanation for a fact that isn't a fact.

...we can't find an explanation for a fact that isn't a fact.

I didn't ask for an explanation, just a simple answer to a simple question.

...it's easier for the bubble to "push past" the liquid

Thankyou CWaters, this is what i was looking for, or failing to understand.

But the simple question is "why is there always liquid equal to the volume of the straw left behind", and that is not true. So, like "why is the sky yellow" it does not have an answer.

Vanadium 50 said:
So, like "why is the sky yellow" it does not have an answer.
It does in Detroit... :uhh:

shnabz said:
Have you ever drank through a straw? Notice how there is always drink left at the end that you can't drink?

Not true. Explain.

Well let's see...

For a straw to work the liquid must be able to get in at the bottom. If the bottom of the straw was perfectly flat and in contact with the bottom of the cup no liquid could get in. Typically the bottom of the straw isn't in perfect contact, its at an angle. So chances are air will start to get in before the cup is totally empty.

With low viscosity liquids it's possible that air can "push past the liquid" so that bubbles of air traveling up the straw don't prevent liqud running back down the other way.

As to predicting at what point this occurs or what volume of liquid can't be sucked up (without moving the cup/straw about) that's anyones guess.

But the simple question is "why is there always liquid equal to the volume of the straw left behind", and that is not true...

I don't recall asking that^ question at all.

The question is:
Is there a way of pumping a small amount of liquid (2-5ml) over a 2ft distance without losing <90% of the liquid?

@ rotrix_bw
Not true. Explain.

I'm asking you to explain, because i didn't know, however CWatters has explained

CWatters said:
Well let's see...

For a straw to work the liquid must be able to get in at the bottom. If the bottom of the straw was perfectly flat and in contact with the bottom of the cup no liquid could get in. Typically the bottom of the straw isn't in perfect contact, its at an angle. So chances are air will start to get in before the cup is totally empty.

With low viscosity liquids it's possible that air can "push past the liquid" so that bubbles of air traveling up the straw don't prevent liqud running back down the other way.

As to predicting at what point this occurs or what volume of liquid can't be sucked up (without moving the cup/straw about) that's anyones guess.

I think I could put the liquid in a container and turn it upside-down to prevent air getting in prematurely.

I wonder if there is a special straw/tube/hose that is soo thin that it prevents air from "pushing past".

I understand why things might not get sucked in because the liquid is no longer in contact with the straw but i don't understand what you mean by air puishing past, ad stuff in the straw running back down ... don't you just suck harder?

What is liquid transfer through a tube?

Liquid transfer through a tube refers to the process of moving a liquid from one container to another using a tube or pipette. This is commonly done in scientific experiments or when handling chemicals in a laboratory setting.

What are the different methods for liquid transfer through a tube?

There are several methods for transferring liquids through a tube, including using a pipette, a syringe, or a transfer pipette. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of liquids and volumes.

What factors should be considered when choosing a tube for liquid transfer?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a tube for liquid transfer is the material it is made of. Some liquids may react with certain materials, so it is important to choose a tube that is compatible with the liquid being transferred. Additionally, the size and shape of the tube should also be considered depending on the volume and viscosity of the liquid being transferred.

How can I ensure accurate and precise liquid transfer through a tube?

To ensure accurate and precise liquid transfer through a tube, it is important to use proper technique and calibrated equipment. This includes properly measuring the volume of liquid being transferred, using a clean and undamaged tube, and avoiding air bubbles in the liquid. It is also helpful to practice and develop a steady hand for consistent transfers.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling liquid transfer through a tube?

It is important to always wear appropriate personal protective equipment when handling liquid transfer through a tube. This may include gloves, safety glasses, and a lab coat. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to avoid inhaling any fumes from the liquid being transferred. Proper disposal of any leftover chemicals or contaminated tubes should also be practiced.