Help with Mechanics Problem Needed

• Thread starter cmseybold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, two horses are pulling a barge at a 30 degree angle with a maximum rate of 2 horsepower each. The tension in the cables can be calculated by multiplying the speed of the horses (1.73 m/s) by their maximum horsepower (1500W). The maximum steady speed of the barge can be calculated by using the horse's power (1500W) and the resistive force of the water (120v) using the formula P = Fv.
cmseybold
Two horses are pulling a barge as shown. Both hourses can each work at a maxiumum rate of 2 horsepower=1500W.

(The picture shows a barge headed in the right direction, with the horses pulling at 30 degrees relative to the displacement. so they are pulling sideways in both directions)

1) When the horses are walking at a steady speed of 1.73 m/s, Calculate the tension in the cables.

2) If the water exerts a resistive force on the barge that varies with the barges speed as 120v (Newtons) where v is the speed of the barge in the water, calculate the maximum steady speed of the barge when each horse is exerting his maximum horsepower.

Any help on this question, especially the second part, would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: P = Fv

Last edited:
We need the resistance to calculate 1) if I am not mistaken.

qspeechc said:
We need the resistance to calculate 1) if I am not mistaken.
We don't actually...

Ok, :)

1. How do I approach solving a mechanics problem?

The first step in solving a mechanics problem is to carefully read the problem and identify what is given and what is asked for. Then, use relevant equations and principles to analyze the problem and come up with a solution. It may be helpful to draw diagrams or use other visual aids to understand the problem better.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems include using incorrect formulas, not paying attention to units, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of any assumptions you are making.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mechanics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in mechanics, practice solving a variety of problems and seek feedback from peers or instructors. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and then putting them back together to find a solution.

4. Are there any resources available to help me with mechanics problems?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with mechanics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from your instructor or join a study group to work through problems together.

5. How can I check if my answer to a mechanics problem is correct?

You can check if your answer to a mechanics problem is correct by double-checking your calculations and units, and by comparing your solution to known solutions or examples. It can also be helpful to plug your answer back into the given problem and see if it makes sense in the context of the problem.