Help with Profit/Loss: Find Optimal Number of Items to Buy

• MHB
  • Thread starter intern3t
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining the optimum number of candles to buy per week in order to maximize profit for a business owner. The cost of a candle is $25 and the selling price is $30, with any unsold candles being disposed of for $20. The weekly sales and corresponding probabilities are given, and the question is asking for help in understanding how to calculate the optimum number of candles to buy. The profit can be calculated by subtracting the cost from the revenue, and the concept of calculating an expectation is relevant in finding the optimum number of candles to buy.
intern3t
I tried working on this question:

the cost of unit for candle is $ 25, selling price $ 30 per item if sold within a week.

unsold to be disposed $20

weekly sales: 3 4 5 6 7 8
probability: 0 10 20 40 30 0

Determine the optimum number of items per week that should be bought by the business owner.

and i got 3, didn't really understood the question. Please help. thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
intern3t said:
I tried working on this question:

the cost of unit for candle is $ 25, selling price $ 30 per item if sold within a week.

unsold to be disposed $20

weekly sales: 3 4 5 6 7 8
probability: 0 10 20 40 30 0

Determine the optimum number of items per week that should be bought by the business owner.

and i got 3, didn't really understood the question. Please help. thanks

Hi intern3t,

Suppose we buy 5 candles and sell 4.
Then our cost is $5\times \$25$ and we gain $4 \times \$30$, leaving us 1 candle that we dispose for $1 \times \$20$.

So our profit is:
$$\text{Profit} = \text{Revenue} - \text{Cost} = 4\times \$30 + 1\times \$20 - 5\times \$25 = \$15$$

Can you deduce what the profit is if we still buy 5 candles, but could sell 3, 5, respectively 6 candles?

What do you know about calculating an expectation from that?

What is profit/loss and why is it important?

Profit/loss is a measure of the financial gain or loss from a business activity. It is important because it helps you understand the financial health of a business and make decisions regarding investments, pricing, and budgeting.

What is the optimal number of items to buy for maximum profit?

The optimal number of items to buy for maximum profit varies depending on the specific business and market conditions. It is important to analyze factors such as production costs, demand, and competition to determine the optimal quantity for your particular situation.

How do you calculate profit/loss?

To calculate profit/loss, you subtract the total costs (including overhead, production, and operating costs) from the total revenue. If the result is a positive number, then the business has made a profit. If the result is a negative number, then the business has incurred a loss.

What are some strategies for increasing profit?

Some strategies for increasing profit include reducing costs, increasing sales, improving efficiency, expanding into new markets, and optimizing pricing. It is important to regularly analyze and adjust these strategies to ensure continued profitability.

How can I use profit/loss data to make better business decisions?

Profit/loss data can provide valuable insights into the financial performance of a business. By regularly tracking and analyzing this data, you can identify areas for improvement, make informed decisions about investments and pricing, and plan for future growth and success.