Solve Logarithms Problems: Find Profit & Interest Rate

In summary: A company sell an app for phones. In the first 6 months of the year the price goes up by 10% a month. During July, August and September the price went down by 5% each month. During October, November and December it went down by 8% each month. At the end of the year, did the company made profit or lost ? Given an answer in percentages.In (2) the yearly price is:\[f(x)=1.1^{6}0.95^{3}0.92^{3}x\]where x is the price of the app. The monthly interest rate is:\[\frac{1}{12}
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a few small questions regarding logarithms, which I would like to ask your help with.

1) A car loses 50% of it's value every 4 years. How many years does it take for the car to lose 1/3 of it's value ?

(I think you need log with basis of 2 here, but not sure)

2) A company sell an app for phones. In the first 6 months of the year the price goes up by 10% a month. During July, August and September the price went down by 5% each month. During October, November and December it went down by 8% each month. At the end of the year, did the company made profit or lost ? Given an answer in percentages. What is the average monthly interest rate ? Find a function and only then a numerical approximation.

Thank you !

In (2) can I say that the yearly price is:

\[f(x)=1.1^{6}0.95^{3}0.92^{3}x\]

where x is the price of the app ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) An expression for the value of the car after $t$ years is $\left(\frac12\right)^{t/4}\cdot V$, where $V$ is the initial value of the car.Solve $\left(\frac12\right)^{t/4}=\frac13$ for $t$. Can you continue?

I am not sure I am with you on this one. The question is about a third of the initial value, why is it just 1/3 and not 1/3 out of V? The number according to your formula is 6.34, but I am not sure where the formula came from.

"1) A car loses 50% of it's value every 4 years. How many years does it take for the car to lose 1/3 of it's value ?"
In t years, there are t/4 4 year periods. So in t years, the cars value will have been multiplied by 1/2 t/4 times. Multiplying by 1/2 t/4 times gives \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\frac{t}{4}}\). If the cars initial value was V, after t years, its value will be \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\frac{t}{4}}V\). We asked to find t when that will be 1/3 the cars value, \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}V\). So we want to find t that satisfies \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\frac{t}{4}}V= \frac{1}{3}V\)

Now, DIVIDE both sides of $\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\frac{t}{4}}V= \frac{1}{3}V$ by V!

Your second question makes no sense at all! If all you are given is what percentage the price went up or down, with no information about the actual price or what it cost to create the app to begin with, there is no possible way to calculate the companies profit or loss! The problem then asks for the monthly interest rate! What interest rate? Nothing is said about interest in the problem.

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. In other words, it is the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

Why are logarithms useful?

Logarithms are useful because they can help solve for unknown variables in exponential equations, such as finding the interest rate or profit in financial problems.

How do you solve logarithm problems?

To solve logarithm problems, you can use the properties of logarithms, which include the product, quotient, and power properties. You can also use a calculator or computer program to find the numerical value of a logarithm.

What is the difference between logarithmic and exponential functions?

The main difference between logarithmic and exponential functions is that in logarithmic functions, the variable is in the exponent, while in exponential functions, the variable is the base. Logarithmic functions also "undo" the effect of exponential functions, making them useful in solving for unknown variables.

How are logarithms used in finance?

In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and growth rates. They can also be used to determine the profit or loss from investments and loans.