Help with Quantum Eraser experiments

In summary, In experiment 1, one might see an interference pattern on detectors B and C if the double slit is very narrow, but this will break entanglement. In experiment 2, no detector can show a pattern. In experiment 3, one might be able to see a pattern on detector B if the slits of the first double slit are very narrow. In experiment 4, one might see a pattern on detector B and C for the same reasons as in experiment 3.
ldunscombe
I read an article I found on the internet the other day about some Chinese scientists who have set a new speed record for Quantum Entanglement or (Spooky action at a distance). I have since been fascinated by Quantum Mechanics and am trying to understand it (as best I can). I am not a scientist in any way shape or form and as such don't have access to the equipment or the knowledge to experiment myself.

I would really appreciate it if Anybody with an understanding of the "Quantum Eraser" could take a look at these 4 experiments and enlighten me as to what results I should see at each of the detectors in each of the following 4 experiments in terms of Interference pattern or No Interference Pattern.

I may be (probably) completely off the mark here but I am particularly interested in the results of experiment 2 as from what I can tell this should provide "Which Way" information without affecting the polarization.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481900_4695680957061_1075943993_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might help, if you explain your drawings.

I suppose the blue rectangle and black square are a laser and a nonlinear crystal creating entangled photon pairs. Are these momentum-entangled with arbitrary polarization?

What are black-and-white things? Double slits? Polarizers? Double slits with polarizers? Do the two thin lines represent a beam splitter? Also what kind of detector do you intend to use? Small ones? Large bucket detectors? What kind of interference patterns are you after? A simple spatial double slit pattern? If so, do you scan the position of some detectors to measure it and if so, for which detectors do you scan position?

All of that may sound like nifty details, but they become important.

Thanks for the reply Ctugha. Sorry for my ignorance, as I said I am not a scientist. Yes the blue rectangle and black square are as you suggested. The black and white things are Double Slits "Without" polarizers and the two thin lines are mirrors. Sorry you've lost me on the detectors. I was thinking of anything that can detect weather an interference pattern is present or not.

Well - it is complicated.

It is not even completely clear, what one will see in experiment 1. Typically, entangled photons will not show a double slit interference pattern because they are pretty incoherent. However, one can always go to far field conditions (double slit far away from the crystal). In this case coherence increases (for the same reason light from very distant stars is pretty coherent), but doing so breaks entanglement. So I suppose, you are not interested in this kind of condition and want to keep entanglement. In this case, you will not see an interference pattern in experiment 1 on any of the two detectors. You might be able to recover some pattern by postselection (just considering detections at detector B which correspond to simultaneous detection events at some well defined position of detector A), but on the bare detectors, there will be no pattern.

In experiment 2, no detector can show a pattern. You need a superposition at two possible paths to a single detector to be able to create an interference pattern.

In experiment 3, one might be able to see a pattern on detector B, if the slits of the first double slit are very narrow. This is equivalent to increasing the distance between the crystal and the double slit as mentioned for experiment 1 and wll increase coherence. It will also break entanglement.

In experiment 4, you might see a pattern on detector B and C for the same reasons as in experiment 3.

For these cases in experiment 3 and 4, one might also be able to see an interference pattern using wider slits, if one again uses postselection as mentioned in the discussion of experiment 1.

I am sorry that this is most likely not the discussion of the experiment you wanted to get, but these tiny details are very important for double slit and quantum eraser experiments.

1. What is a Quantum Eraser experiment?

A Quantum Eraser experiment is a type of thought experiment in quantum physics that explores the concept of wave-particle duality. It involves passing a single photon through a double-slit apparatus and observing its behavior as either a wave or a particle. This experiment challenges traditional understandings of physics and has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality.

2. How does a Quantum Eraser experiment work?

In a Quantum Eraser experiment, a single photon is sent through a double-slit apparatus, which consists of two parallel slits close together. Behind the slits is a screen that records the pattern of the photon's particles as they pass through. The experiment also includes a detector that can determine which slit the photon passes through. The results of the experiment change depending on whether the detector is used or not, leading to questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the results of a Quantum Eraser experiment?

The results of a Quantum Eraser experiment have significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. They challenge traditional understandings of physics and show that observation can have a direct impact on the behavior of particles at a quantum level. These experiments have also been used to investigate the nature of time and causality, leading to new theories and ideas about the universe.

4. Can anyone conduct a Quantum Eraser experiment?

While the concept of a Quantum Eraser experiment can be understood by anyone, actually conducting the experiment requires specialized equipment and knowledge of quantum mechanics. These experiments are typically conducted by trained scientists and researchers in controlled laboratory settings. However, there are simulations and online demonstrations available for those interested in learning more about the principles and implications of these experiments.

5. What are the potential applications of Quantum Eraser experiments?

Quantum Eraser experiments have many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and telecommunications. They also have the potential to provide insights into the fundamental nature of the universe and could lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of quantum mechanics. However, further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and utilize the implications of these experiments.