Help with Strange Photos of the Sun

In summary, the individual is seeking advice and insight on two pictures they took while driving on the Skyway Bridge from St. Pete to Tampa in September 2005. They are trying to confirm the specific date of the pictures and have been unable to find a similar one. They have ruled out any malfunction of the camera and have charted the solar system to determine the positioning of Venus and Mercury at the time the pictures were taken. They also mention a potential "Second Sun" effect in the upper right corner of one of the pictures. The individual is a fan of science and is hoping to one day put a valid caption on the pictures.
Mario4272
Hi all, I was hoping for a little advice and some insight on these pictures I took.

Here is the first (orig_small1.jpg):

And the Second after I realized and waited for a break in the traffic (orig_small2.jpg):

I was on the Skyway Bridge in the passenger seat driving from St. Pete to Tampa back in September 2005. It was approximately 6:30am. I was there from 9/19-9/23. I am sure it was later on in the week. I am looking for something to confirm the day.

I have done some looking around over the past year or so trying to find a similar pic and cannot find one. I have take other pics of the Sun with the same Treo 650 (yes, imagine that…the actual photo blown up is remarkably detailed) after this and there was no black spot so that would rule out a malfunction of the device.

I then went and charted the Solar System as it would have been the day and time of the picture if it was the last day I was there. I used the last day because Venus and Mercury were further away from being in “front” of the Sun to appear in the photo.

There is also the “Second Sun” effect in the upper right. Thought maybe it was glare but I’m not sure either.

I will say that I am a fan of the . I am a senior executive for a corporation in Massachusetts and a big fan of the world of science (science fiction too). However, it's from an armchair point of view . I have been sitting on these pics for a few years and I figured I would share in hopes of being able to put a valid caption on them one day. Thanks for the help and input in advance.

-M

Attachments

• orig_small1.jpg
    orig_small1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 431
  • orig_small2.jpg
    orig_small2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 431
  • Solar System Positioning.JPG
    Solar System Positioning.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 483
Astronomy news on Phys.org
att

Hi Matt,

Thank you for sharing these interesting photos with us. From what I can see, it looks like there may be a few different things going on in these images.

Firstly, the black spot in the first photo could potentially be a sunspot. These are areas on the sun's surface that appear darker because they are cooler than the surrounding areas. Sunspots are a common occurrence and can vary in size and shape.

As for the "Second Sun" effect in the second photo, it is possible that this is just a lens flare or an artifact caused by the camera lens. However, it could also be a reflection of the sun off of something else in the environment, such as a building or car window.

In terms of confirming the date, it may be helpful to look up historical weather data for that week in September 2005 in the St. Pete/Tampa area. This could potentially help narrow down the exact day you took the photos.

Overall, it's always exciting to capture something unique and unusual in a photograph. I would suggest reaching out to a local astronomy club or a professional in the field to get their expert opinion on these photos. They may be able to provide more insight and help you confirm what you captured in these images.

Best of luck and keep exploring the wonders of our universe!

1. What are some strange photos of the sun that have been captured?

Some strange photos of the sun include sunspots, solar flares, coronal holes, and solar prominences.

2. Are these photos real or edited?

These photos are real, captured by various instruments such as telescopes and satellites. However, they may be enhanced or colorized for better visibility.

3. Why do these photos look different from what we see with our naked eye?

The photos are usually taken in wavelengths of light that are not visible to the human eye, such as ultraviolet or x-ray. These wavelengths reveal different features and activities of the sun that cannot be seen with our eyes.

4. How do scientists study these photos to learn more about the sun?

Scientists use various techniques such as image processing, spectroscopy, and data analysis to study these photos. They can also compare images taken at different times to track changes and patterns.

5. Can these photos help us predict solar activity and its impact on Earth?

Yes, studying these photos can provide valuable information about solar activity and potential impacts on Earth such as geomagnetic storms. This can help us prepare and mitigate any potential disruptions to our technology and infrastructure.