Calculating Average of Quantities with Different Values - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter atomqwerty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the average of a set of quantities with different values, while taking into account the importance or weight of each value. The issue at hand is calculating the average grade point average, where each subject has a specific number of hours associated with it. The solution is to use a weighted average, where the sum of each value multiplied by its weight is divided by the sum of the weights.
atomqwerty
Hi,
I want to determinate the average of a set of quantities which each one has a different value, for example

3 has value 4.5
4 has value 5
3.5 has value 6
4 has value 3
5 has value 5

and so on...

If I do 3*4.5 + 4*5 + 3.5*6 +... and divide it by the number of elements I obtain a number that is not the average of the set...

Any help for this noob?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I replace "has" with "have" I think I understand what you are trying to do, right up to "3.5"... I just can't figure out how you have 1/2 of something with a specific value.

Can you explain the problem a bit more? And also how do you know what the average should be? Answers in back?

It's a way to measure the real average of a set, and where I write 4.5, it doesn't mean that the associated value appear 4 + 1/2 times, but it means the importance of that value. The problem itself is to calculate the grade point average, and I associate the puntuation with the hours of the subject, for example

Maths: 7.8 (45 hours)
Physics: 8.9 (60 hours)

I want to calculate the average keeping in mind that each subject has a determinate number of hours.

Saludos!

Sounds to me like you want a "weighted" average.

If you have value 4.5 with weight 3, 5 with weight 4, 6 with weight 3.5, 3 with weight 5, and 5 with weight 5, then the weighted average is
[tex]\frac{3(4.5)+ 5(5)+ 3.5(6)+ 5(3)+ 5(5)}{3+ 4+ 3.5+ 5+ 5}[/tex]
the sum of each value multiplied by its weight, divided by the sum of the weights.

Similarly, if you have a grade of 7.8 with a weight of 45 hours and a grade of 8.9 with a weight of 60 hours then the weighted average is
[tex]\frac{7.8(45)+ 8.9(60)}{45+ 60}[/tex]

Thanks, HallsofIvy and Schip666! for your help, very useful!

What is the issue that you need help with?

The issue that I need help with is [insert issue here].

How long have you been experiencing this issue?

I have been experiencing this issue for [insert duration here].

Have you tried any solutions to fix the issue?

Yes, I have tried [insert solutions here], but none of them have worked.

Are there any error messages or codes associated with the issue?

Yes, I have received the following error message/code: [insert error message/code here].

Do you have any specific requirements for a solution?

I am open to any solutions, but ideally I would like [insert specific requirements here].