Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with topic for 10 page paper

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    Ok, my physics teacher has a assigned a 10 page paper to be completed by the end of the year. this is my senior year just for refrence. I would like to pick a topic in the Aerospace engineering field, and who better than u guys to help me find a good topic to do my project on. Here are my requirements

10 sources
    • 2 periodicals
    • 2 references
    • 2 professional journals
    • 2 books
    • 2 others

The topic can be ANYTHING, as long as he approves it, challenging is better, all ideas are appreciated, and would be of un-measurable help. thx
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2

"In academic literature, a reference is a previously published written work within academic publishing which is used as a source for theory or claims referred to which are used in the text. References contain complete bibliographic information so the interested reader can find them in a library. References can be added either at the end of the publication, or as footnotes."

What according to your teacher is the difference between a reference and a book or journal article since they are bulleted separately?

There are many great topics and aerospace is definitely a good field my friend.
    A great topic which would not be too specific is for instance, the effect that computer modeling has had on aerospace design. there are many different sources on CFD (computational Fluid Dynamics) or etc. you don't have to talk in great detail about the math behind it but just about trends.
  4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    lets not get into the sources now : p i just need topics

2 refrences
    " other than encyclopedia or world book"
  5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

For starters:

- Engine acoustic sources and their control
    - Boundary layer control
    - Swept blade aerodynamics
    - Reduction of emissions for jet engines
    - Compressor surges, rotating compressor stalls
    - Forward swept wing aerodynamics
    - Pros and cons of various alternative fuels
    - Compressible fluid flows
    - Modern materials used in aerospace
    - Manufacturing processes used in aerospace
    - Examination of rocket engine exhaust plumes
    - Aircraft jet engine inlet design
  6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
    Still doesn't make sense

I think FerdGarvin and I have a different understanding. You mean senior year of high school correct?
  7. Feb 10, 2008 #6
    si... its my senior year of high school
  8. Feb 10, 2008 #7
    honestly ur getting way too concerned with the refrences. my teacher isnt picky and it dosent really matter, i just put that up for more detailed info to help u suggest more useful topics, which might i add, are really really really good topics, im having a hard time deciding what to do cuz i like all of them = )
  9. Feb 11, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

Oh. Crud. Sorry about that. I thought you meant of undergrad. No big whoop. I suppose you can get as in depth with any of those topics as you like.
  10. Feb 11, 2008 #9
    haha...im sorry bout that, i didnt mean to confuse you... by the way, i love ur quote from Elanore Roosevelt, thats a great quote
  11. Feb 11, 2008 #10
    I am not trying to nag about the references but rather teach you something, a task project whatever it may be is only completed successfully when:

1. It is within cost (of no concern for you)
    2. It is within time (you submit it late you will receive an F)
    3. It meets the minimum requirements

If there is ambiguity about what the minimum requirements, you are setting yourself up for potential disaster. In this case it is no big deal however, we here hope you choose to become an engineer and then it becomes very important.

My point is, do not accept tasks to easily without a thorough understanding between you and the sponsor (your teacher).
  12. Feb 12, 2008 #11
    what did u mean by that?

And yes... I plan on attending graduate school at Texas A&M to major in Aerospace egineering. and maybe get a job at Lockheed martin...maybe lol
  13. Feb 14, 2008 #12
    I meant that in this case you don't have any cost the scope of your "project" is to research a topic and write an article.

A&M is a great school and I don't know if you live close to college station but I could give you a tour if you are in the neighborhood of College Station. In my opinion it is the number one school for turbo machinery in pumps at least from a industries perspective.
  14. Feb 24, 2008 #13

trends in stealth technology
    propulsion types- features, uses, benefits, problems
    propulsion- evolution
    basic flight principles, bernoulli's eq. (incompressible flow), control surfaces

Some of these might challenge you, but they're definitely within your reach as a HS Senior.
  15. Feb 25, 2008 #14
    do you work at Texas A & M? im sorta close to college station, i live in shreveport, LA
  16. Feb 25, 2008 #15

I don't work there.
  17. Feb 26, 2008 #16
    I was replying to jaap, sorry for the confusion
  18. Mar 1, 2008 #17
    Yes I do I am working on my PhD in Mechanical Engineering and I work in the Turbo Machinery Lab. I would have no problem giving you a tour. This is a great school with nice traditions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?