Help with vector angle and magnitude

In summary, to find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem by treating the components as the sides of a right triangle, and the magnitude as the hypotenuse. To find the angle of a vector relative to i, you can use the inverse tangent function with the components of the vector. When adding or subtracting vectors, you can add or subtract the corresponding components and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector. The angle between two vectors can be found using the inverse cosine function with the dot product of the two vectors.
BlinkBunnie069
Two Vectors Three Here are two vectors:
a = (6.0 m)i - (3.0 m)j and b = (5.0 m)i + (5.0 m)j.
(a) What is the magnitude of a?

(b) What is the angle of a(relative to i)?

(c) What is the magnitude of b?

(d) What is the angle of b?

(e) What is the magnitude of a + b?

(f) What is the angle of a + b?

(g) What is the magnitude of b - a?

(h) What is the angle of b - a?

(i) What is the magnitude of a - b?

(j) What is the angle of a - b?

(k) What is the angle between the directions of b - a and a - b?
The angle between the two vectors is 180°.
The angle between the two vectors is 90°.
The angle between the two vectors is 60°.
The angle between the two vectors is 30°.
The angle between the two vectors is 45°.
The angle between the two vectors is 0°.

I have no idea how to figure out the magnitude, I thought I did but I only confused myself more. If someone can tell me how to find the magnitude how they want me to find it and also the angle, if would be appreciate. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BlinkBunnie069 said:
Two Vectors Three Here are two vectors:
a = (6.0 m)i - (3.0 m)j and b = (5.0 m)i + (5.0 m)j.
(a) What is the magnitude of a?

(b) What is the angle of a(relative to i)?

(c) What is the magnitude of b?

(d) What is the angle of b?

(e) What is the magnitude of a + b?

(f) What is the angle of a + b?

(g) What is the magnitude of b - a?

(h) What is the angle of b - a?

(i) What is the magnitude of a - b?

(j) What is the angle of a - b?

(k) What is the angle between the directions of b - a and a - b?
The angle between the two vectors is 180°.
The angle between the two vectors is 90°.
The angle between the two vectors is 60°.
The angle between the two vectors is 30°.
The angle between the two vectors is 45°.
The angle between the two vectors is 0°.

I have no idea how to figure out the magnitude, I thought I did but I only confused myself more. If someone can tell me how to find the magnitude how they want me to find it and also the angle, if would be appreciate. Thanks!

Draw the vector on a graph paper. Draw a line 6 units to the right, 3 units downwards, then use the head-to-tail rule to draw the magnitude of a (It should be a diagonal line). That is your graphical representation of the vector you have.

Notice if you do that, you have a right triangle, with the hypotenuse being your magnitude. What rule do you use to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle, if you know the length of two other sides?

You use tan= opp./adj to find the hypotenuse I believe. I haven't had much experience w/ trig. So for a) it would be 6/3= 3m and for b) 5/5=1. Am I on the right track?

Now for the angle of a(relative to i), would I take the inverse tangent of 3? Or how would this part work?

Also the magnitude when adding the two different vectors, I'm not sure how you would solve for them when you'd have 4 different values from a and b. Actually, would you just add and subtract the two values you solve for in parts a and b for parts e, g, and i?

BlinkBunnie069 said:
You use tan= opp./adj to find the hypotenuse I believe. I haven't had much experience w/ trig. So for a) it would be 6/3= 3m and for b) 5/5=1. Am I on the right track?

Now for the angle of a(relative to i), would I take the inverse tangent of 3? Or how would this part work?

Also the magnitude when adding the two different vectors, I'm not sure how you would solve for them when you'd have 4 different values from a and b. Actually, would you just add and subtract the two values you solve for in parts a and b for parts e, g, and i?

You are making this more complicated than it should be.

g638.gif

Suppose you know the sides of b,a. What rule can you use to find c?

As for adding the magnitude of two different vectors, you use the similar idea, except you add the corresponding components together, and use the rule mentioned above to calculate the magnitude.

1. How do I find the angle of a vector?

To find the angle of a vector, you can use the formula arctan(y/x), where y is the vertical component of the vector and x is the horizontal component. This will give you the angle in radians. You can then convert it to degrees if needed.

2. What is the difference between magnitude and angle of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector, while the angle refers to the direction the vector is pointing in. Magnitude is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only a magnitude, while angle is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. How can I calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. You square the horizontal component of the vector, square the vertical component, and then take the square root of the sum of these two values. This will give you the length of the vector.

4. Can the angle of a vector be negative?

Yes, the angle of a vector can be negative. This usually occurs when the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis. In this case, the angle would be measured clockwise from the negative x-axis.

5. How do I find the components of a vector using its magnitude and angle?

You can use the formulas x = magnitude * cos(angle) and y = magnitude * sin(angle) to find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector. These formulas use trigonometry to calculate the components based on the magnitude and angle of the vector.