Help with writing half reactions for the following

In summary, this conversation discusses the process of balancing a redox reaction in an acidic solution. The first step is to identify the substances being reduced and oxidized, and then write half equations for each process. These equations are then multiplied to balance the overall reaction. This is a common topic in school textbooks.
mkrupich
1. Fe2+ + MnO4- -> Fe3+ + Mn2+ (acidic solution)

2. I need to write a half reaction for the oxidation and reduction process and I am totally lost. If I could have help on this one, maybe I will understand how to complete the balance of my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
mkrupich said:
1. Fe2+ + MnO4- -> Fe3+ + Mn2+ (acidic solution)

2. I need to write a half reaction for the oxidation and reduction process and I am totally lost. If I could have help on this one, maybe I will understand how to complete the balance of my work.

Remember, lose electrons oxidized, gain electrons reduced. What indicates the electron movement for any reaction? After you figure that out, break the reaction into half-reactions.

Last edited:
Break the answer down:

What is being reduced?
What is being oxidised?
Write the half equation for the reduction
Write the half equation for the oxidation
Multiply up the 2 half equations so they balance

This is such a classic redox titration that you will find it in any school textbook

1. How do I identify the reactants and products in a chemical reaction?

The reactants are the substances that are present before the reaction takes place, and the products are the substances that are formed as a result of the reaction.

2. What are half reactions?

Half reactions are equations that show the transfer of electrons between reactants and products in a redox reaction.

3. How do I balance a half reaction?

To balance a half reaction, you must ensure that the number of atoms on each side of the equation is equal and that the overall charge is also balanced.

4. How do I determine the oxidation state of an element in a half reaction?

The oxidation state of an element in a half reaction can be determined by using the rules for assigning oxidation states, which include the electronegativity of the element and the overall charge of the molecule.

5. Can you provide an example of writing a half reaction?

Sure, for the reaction of magnesium with hydrochloric acid, the half reaction for the oxidation of Mg would be: Mg(s) → Mg2+(aq) + 2e-. And the half reaction for the reduction of H+ would be: 2H+(aq) + 2e- → H2(g).