Can Methane and Citric Acid be Balanced in a Redox Reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses balancing a redox reaction in which methane is oxidized by citric acid in solution, resulting in the transformation of both substances into carbon dioxide. The oxidation numbers for carbon are calculated and the half-reactions are balanced. The conversation ends with the realization that both half-reactions are actually oxidation reactions, making the overall reaction nonsensical.
Danny.Boy
Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template.
Hi there:

I'm trying to balance a reaction in which methane is oxidized by citric acid in solution. Both methane and citric acid will be transformed into carbon dioxide. To begin, I checked that the reaction is indeed a redox reaction.

C6H8O7→CO2

So, I calculated the oxidation number for carbon goes from +6 to +4. A reduction.

CH4→CO2

I calculated the oxidation number for carbon goes from -4 to +4. An oxidation. This seems reasonable so far. Then, I balanced my half-reactions.

C6H8O7+5H2O→6CO2+18H++18e-

CH4+2H2O→CO2+8H++8e-

Now comes the part that has me baffled. How do I combine these half-reactions and not end up with loads of electrons since they are on the right hand side of both half-reactions?! Clearly, I've done something very wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danny.Boy said:
So, I calculated the oxidation number for carbon goes from +6 to +4

Which carbon?

Borek said:
Which carbon?
I meant the citric acid carbon, but clearly I've miscalculated. Consequently, both half reactions are actually oxidation reactions and the overall reaction is nonsensical.

Danny.Boy said:
I meant the citric acid carbon

Oxidation number is a property of a single atom, it is quite possible for different atoms of an element to have different oxidation numbers in the molecule, hence your initial statement didn't make much sense

Technically it is not impossible to both oxidize the methane and reduce the citric acid at the same time, producing a "redox reaction". I doubt it would be spontaneous though.

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, short for reduction-oxidation reaction, is a type of chemical reaction where there is a transfer of electrons between two reactants. One reactant loses electrons (oxidation) while the other gains electrons (reduction).

2. How do you know if a reaction is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction can be identified by the change in oxidation numbers of the reactants. If there is an increase in oxidation number, the reactant is being oxidized. If there is a decrease in oxidation number, the reactant is being reduced. The presence of oxygen, hydrogen, and/or a change in the number of valence electrons can also indicate a redox reaction.

3. What is the purpose of balancing a redox reaction?

The purpose of balancing a redox reaction is to ensure that the number of electrons transferred is equal on both sides of the reaction. This is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass and charge.

4. How do you balance a redox reaction?

To balance a redox reaction, you first need to assign oxidation numbers to each element in the reactants and products. Then, you can use the half-reaction method or the oxidation number change method to balance the equation. In the half-reaction method, you balance the number of electrons transferred and then balance the atoms. In the oxidation number change method, you balance the change in oxidation numbers by adding coefficients to the reactants and products.

5. What are some tips for balancing redox reactions?

Some tips for balancing redox reactions include: - Start by balancing the atoms that are not oxygen or hydrogen.- Balance oxygen atoms by adding water molecules to the side that needs more oxygen.- Balance hydrogen atoms by adding hydrogen ions (H+) to the side that needs more hydrogen.- Balance the charge by adding electrons to the side that needs more negative charge.- Always check your final balanced equation to make sure that atoms, charge, and electrons are balanced on both sides.