Helping creating a few good topic sentences

In summary: Geothermal power is clean, sustainable, and affordable. It is the new clean energy to look up to.Geothermal power provides clean energy, which is why it reigns supreme. Geothermal power is environmentally friendly and doesn't produce any emissions. It is also one of the most sustainable forms of energy because it doesn't use up resources like oil or coal. Geothermal power is affordable, which is great because it doesn't cost a fortune to install.
Niaboc67
I know this is mainly a site for scientific discourse. But anyone good at writing English herer? I have this paper coming up and my teacher is extremely specific about word choice, tense(s), "to be" verbs and more of those types of things. So my topic of the paper "Geothermal energy" I must define what it means through the lens of an elderly couple seeking a new heating system. So I have my introduction out of the way, which I think sounds pretty good. But now working towards the body paragraphs. I want to talk about how geothermal power is clean, but I don't know what I could write for a topic sentence other than the plain "Geothermal provides clean energy" the second paragraph topic sentence would be "Geothermal power provides sustainable energy" and finally "Geothermal power provides affordable energy" all three of these sound like they suffer from the same plain and purposeful pose. How could I re-write them to really make them stand out and more effective?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:
I know this is mainly a site for scientific discourse. But anyone good at writing English herer? I have this paper coming up and my teacher is extremely specific about word choice, tense(s), "to be" verbs and more of those types of things. So my topic of the paper "Geothermal energy" I must define what it means through the lens of an elderly couple seeking a new heating system. So I have my introduction out of the way, which I think sounds pretty good. But now working towards the body paragraphs. I want to talk about how geothermal power is clean, but I don't know what I could write for a topic sentence other than the plain "Geothermal provides clean energy" the second paragraph topic sentence would be "Geothermal power provides sustainable energy" and finally "Geothermal power provides affordable energy" all three of these sound like they suffer from the same plain and purposeful pose. How could I re-write them to really make them stand out and more effective?

Thank you
Does the couple have access to cost effective geothermal energy? Maybe you could write "Unfortunately, we don't have access to cost effective geothermal energy", we could never recoup the cost to install it". This is the case in some areas. Show you really researched it.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...4/18/is-a-geothermal-heat-pump-right-for-you/

Last edited:
Niaboc67 said:
So my topic of the paper "Geothermal energy" I must define what it means through the lens of an elderly couple seeking a new heating system.
Since you ask about English, I have to say this sentence here is a mess.

They do if they used a heat pump installation.

Niaboc67 said:
They do if they used a heat pump installation.
Not necessarily, read the article I posted, they would never recoup the cost in their lifetime.You should make the paper factual. Even the figures in that article are optimistic, I had a 9,000 sq foot house and my largest monthly bill was for air conditioning one month for $300, and that was during a record breaking heatwave.

Last edited:
What about geothermal power from geysers and hot springs. Not through heat pumps but if power plants were set up. Maybe that should be my claim then? just not sure how to go about it.

Niaboc67 said:
What about geothermal power from geysers and hot springs. Not through heat pumps but if power plants were set up. Maybe that should be my claim then? just not sure how to go about it.
Over geysers and hot springs is more cost effective for warming.

I'm just yanking your chain, if it's just a grammar exercise, feasibility isn't important. Interesting to learn about though.

Well, back to the formulating part. Any ideas how I could re-word those topic sentences?

Niaboc67 said:
Well, back to the formulating part. Any ideas how I could re-word those topic sentences?
"Geothermal power is clean."
"Geothermal power is sustainable."
"Geothermal power is affordable."

Oh funny... although even that wouldn't be acceptable by the given criteria. I can't use "to be" verbs here

Niaboc67 said:
Oh funny... although even that wouldn't be acceptable by the given criteria. I can't use "to be" verbs here
No humor intended. It's intended to be readable.

If your teacher has prohibited the verb "to be," that tells me this assignment isn't meant to be expository writing, but something more literary, which makes your choice of subject kinda strange.

Niaboc67 said:
I think your teacher recommends against using sentence structures such as:
"Clean energy is provided by geothermal power"

Try this,
"In the clash of energy for clean and green as the new mean extreme, geothermal energy reigns supreme."
Well maybe not.

Instead,
'Tired of dealing with dirty energy day in and day out. Are you having to scrub your smoke stack over and over again without getting your energy clean? Are you ashamed of your neighbors whispering and pointing fingers at the state of your energy? Don't you wish there was something you could do?
Well wish no more. You can solve all your energy problems. Your energy will come out spotless, with no more stains as a mark of imperfection. Your neighbors will envy you and wonder how you did it. All you have to say is "Geothermal power."
( Seven out of 10 energy producers recommend geothermal power )"

OK. I tried. Sorry.

256bits said:
I think your teacher recommends against using sentence structures such as:
"Clean energy is provided by geothermal power"
I see what you mean. It's probably not a prohibition of the verb "to be." It's an avoidance of the passive voice.

zoobyshoe said:
I see what you mean. It's probably not a prohibition of the verb "to be." It's an avoidance of the passive voice.
I agree on that. Passive tense will lose emphasis along the way.

As an aside, (I should have mentioned) poster stated teacher requested the topic is " for an elderly couple".
I tried to exemplify a writing style for a chosen audience, probably not the best examples but...
The first could be for the motor-head type.
The second could be as an ad for the sleepy late night infomercial viewer.

It'd be worth finding this book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

maybe your library has it?

Niaboc67 said:
I must define what it means through the lens of an elderly couple seeking a new heating system.
I'll suggest elderly folks would be more concerned with "Is it reliable, quiet, low maintenance and easy to clean ?"

What is the purpose of creating topic sentences?

The purpose of creating topic sentences is to provide a clear and concise preview of the main idea or argument that will be discussed in a paragraph. They help to guide the reader and maintain focus on the topic at hand.

How do topic sentences relate to the overall structure of an essay?

Topic sentences are an essential component of the overall structure of an essay. They serve as the main point of each paragraph and help to connect the ideas within the essay, creating a cohesive and organized piece of writing.

What makes a good topic sentence?

A good topic sentence should be clear, specific, and relevant to the main idea of the paragraph. It should also be supported by evidence and provide a strong and focused introduction to the rest of the paragraph.

Can topic sentences be revised or changed?

Absolutely! In fact, it is often recommended to revise and refine topic sentences as you continue to develop and refine your essay. This allows you to ensure that your topic sentences accurately reflect the content of each paragraph and effectively support your overall argument.

How can I improve my skills in creating effective topic sentences?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in creating topic sentences. Additionally, reading and analyzing well-written essays can also help you to identify and understand the elements of a good topic sentence. Seeking feedback from others, such as peers or instructors, can also be beneficial in improving your skills.