Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think it's good to write basic history of the topic you're writing on?

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1
    Hello,

Many of you have written scientific papers and here's my question: Do you think it is good to write some history about the topic you're writing on? For example, let's say I'm writing a paper on gravitational force and I added in intro a little history of brilliant discovery by Newton and later works by Einstein, my teacher crossed out all the introduction and said "We don't need that" isn't it good to give out the glory to discoverers?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd say it's not necessary at all. The reader should already know.

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Depending on the topic, some background is useful. But usually keep it short.

In a research paper, one should use background that is relevant to the topic of the paper.

In the case of Newtown or Einstein, rather than talk about the "brilliance", one should discuss the methods of observation and development of the theory.

Perhaps you could post the deleted part.

Jason has a good point, especially if the audience or reader is already familiar with the subject.

5. Apr 9, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with the others. Only the most relevant works should be cited, and it should focus on the observations they made, not who made them (other than in the citation itself). Concise introductions are important in scientific writing; nobody wants to read an entire history of science before getting to the meat of the subject. Of course the exception is if you're writing a review of the literature from a historical perspective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?