Herb garden in a tub: will strict watering prevent plant death?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    garden
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 5K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I am the worlds worst gardener , plants seem to die when in my care, the thing
is i like fresh herbs, so i am thinking, if i start a herb garden in a large tub with
the best growing medium, and follow a strict watering regimen, i can not fail,
right ? or not. :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nonsense, you are a great gardener; you've kept many plants alive beyond their appointed time of death.
 
arildno said:
Nonsense, you are a great gardener; you've kept many plants alive beyond their appointed time of death.

:biggrin: I would like to think so, but when :confused: the only plants that
thrive under my care are cacti.
 
wolram said:
:biggrin: I would like to think so, but when :confused: the only plants that
thrive under my care are cacti.
But that just shows you are a cactile person, wollie!
It's nothing to be ashamed of.
 
arildno said:
But that just shows you are a cactile person, wollie!
It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I am not ashamed, it is just i am the unwilling embodiment of the anti gardener,
i want to be able to grow stuff, but the stuff refuses to play ball
 
Have you tried caressing their stems yet?
From what I know, that usually makes the plants grow.

Alternatively, you might try to sing to them.
 
arildno said:
Have you tried caressing their stems yet?
From what I know, that usually makes the plants grow.
Alternatively, you might try to sing to them.

I have heard that singing to them helps, but my tones are not dulcet or tuneful.

So is my idea good, or not ?
 
Last edited:
You could try growing mold-in-a-jar. It's very forgiving, and comes in all kinds of colors.
 
I can't grow a good cactus for anything...bleah.
Herbs...some are infallible..others are a bit more sensitive..try thyme..maybe some rosemary (in a different pot though...rosemary likes poor soul and will keel over if you feed it)...mint grows beautifully and easily as long as you keep it sopping wet...just don't confuse it with your cacti..
 
kat said:
I can't grow a good cactus for anything...bleah.
Herbs...some are infallible..others are a bit more sensitive..try thyme..maybe some rosemary (in a different pot though...rosemary likes poor soul and will keel over if you feed it)...mint grows beautifully and easily as long as you keep it sopping wet...just don't confuse it with your cacti..
That explains my herb garden mishaps. I tend to drown cacti. My rosemary never grew anything but bugs. Thyme seems to grow easily...I just dumped seeds in planters one year and by the end of summer, had lots of thyme...and it came back the next year too (usually I don't have that much luck with perennials in planters; I figure their roots are too exposed to cold compared with plants in the ground).
 
kat said:
mint grows beautifully and easily as long as you keep it sopping wet.
Do NOT let mint grow in open ground. Always plant mint in a pot even if it's in a bed. If you don't, it will take over. It grows too easily and can be very invasive. It is tough to get rid of when you don't want it.
 
FredGarvin said:
Do NOT let mint grow in open ground. Always plant mint in a pot even if it's in a bed. If you don't, it will take over. It grows too easily and can be very invasive. It is tough to get rid of when you don't want it.
True, I had to contain mine in cement blocks buried underground. I'm surprised mint hasn't already taken over the world.

Wolram, grow mint. :smile:
 
Evo said:
True, I had to contain mine in cement blocks buried underground. I'm surprised mint hasn't already taken over the world.
Wolram, grow mint. :smile:

But mint only goes with lamb :-p
 
wolram said:
But mint only goes with lamb :-p
It also is nice in tea. I think I'd love to have mint take over my yard...can you imagine how nice it would be to walk outside barefoot in the summer and come in smelling all minty? :biggrin: