Herd immunity with new COVID variants?

• Thread starter ElliotSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covid
In summary, antibodies acquired from a natural infection can be very effective in fighting new variants of the virus.
ElliotSmith
TL;DR Summary
Do natural COVID antibodies protect against the new variants?
If someone has had the original COVID-19 strain and survived, does this mean that they have any immunity to the new variants? Or do the new variants completely ignore any antibodies that someone who survived the original virus has?

Biology news on Phys.org
The difference between the antibodies you get from an invection vs. antibodies you might get from the new immunizations they are now producing, is that the immunizations produce antibodies to only a single part of the virus, a part deeply involed involved in infecting cells. If the antibody binding this site (epitope) doesn't directly lead to the virus's destruction, it will physically block the virus's ability to a gain entry to a cells to infect.
Antibodies acquired by being infected can be from any exposed molecular surface of the viruses (several proteins, with many different places an antibody could bind).
Antibodies, to parts of the virus's surface not targeted in the immunizations, can act as signals to immune cells to remove the virus, but until that happens, the virus is still infective.

Summary:
The antibodies from a natural infection, will raise a lot of different antibodies.
The antibodies raised by the immunization will be a sub-set of those raised by an infection, but they will be very effective.
Not all of the antibodies from a natural infection will be equally effective in fighting new challenges.

Last edited:
Likes atyy and ElliotSmith
An important thing to keep in mind is that even if antibodies protect less against new variants, the T cells protection developed by natural infection or by Pfizer vaccines has been negligibly affected by variants. The T cell responses may help explain why the vaccines continue to provide good protection against severe disease, even though their ability to protect from infection has decreased.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xcrm.2021.100355
https://immunology.sciencemag.org/content/6/59/eabj1750
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03681-2

• Informative
Likes bhobba and BillTre
Hi Friends,

I was affected by COVID wave 2, It drained my energy level as well myself confidence. I got headache pain, and cold, and sneezing heavily... And also I faced hair fall issues... And then I have started browsing the information related to COVID and how to overcome this... I was read the many websites and I have shared the websites here. If anyone seeking or getting benefits from this one reply me here...

https://reliefseeker.com/news/hair-loss-treatment-guide

SARS-CoV-2 RBD antibodies that maximize breadth and resistance to escape​

Here we comprehensively characterize escape, breadth and potency across a panel of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies targeting the receptor-binding domain (RBD). Despite a trade-off between in vitro neutralization potency and breadth of sarbecovirus binding, we identify neutralizing antibodies with exceptional sarbecovirus breadth and a corresponding resistance to SARS-CoV-2 escape. One of these antibodies, S2H97, binds with high affinity across all sarbecovirus clades to a cryptic epitope and prophylactically protects hamsters from viral challenge. Antibodies that target the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor-binding motif (RBM) typically have poor breadth and are readily escaped by mutations despite high neutralization potency. Nevertheless, we also characterize a potent RBM antibody (S2E128) with breadth across sarbecoviruses related to SARS-CoV-2 and a high barrier to viral escape. These data highlight principles underlying variation in escape, breadth and potency among antibodies that target the RBD, and identify epitopes and features to prioritize for therapeutic development against the current and potential future pandemics.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03807-6

1. What is herd immunity?

Herd immunity is the concept that when a large portion of a population becomes immune to a disease, it can provide protection to the entire community, including those who are not immune. This is because the spread of the disease is limited when a significant number of people are immune.

2. How does herd immunity work with new COVID variants?

Herd immunity with new COVID variants works the same way as with the original strain. However, the threshold for achieving herd immunity may be different due to the increased transmissibility of the new variants. This means that a higher percentage of the population may need to be immune to achieve herd immunity.

3. Can herd immunity be achieved with vaccines?

Yes, vaccines are one of the key ways to achieve herd immunity. By vaccinating a significant portion of the population, it can limit the spread of the disease and protect those who are not vaccinated.

4. How long does herd immunity last?

The duration of herd immunity depends on various factors, including the disease and the population's immunity levels. For COVID-19, it is still unclear how long immunity lasts, especially with new variants emerging. Ongoing research is being conducted to determine the duration of immunity for COVID-19.

5. Can herd immunity be achieved without vaccines?

It is possible for herd immunity to be achieved without vaccines, but it would require a significant portion of the population to have already been infected and developed immunity. However, this approach is not recommended as it can result in a high number of deaths and overwhelming healthcare systems.