Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Here we go with cellphone tumors again

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Does a medical or statistics professional who understands all this jargon want to lay it out for me?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928468012000788

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Also, I wonder if this study did anything significantly different than the numerous studies it contradicts?

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    The link wasn't usable for me. However, given the large general population use of wireless devices, I'm not sure how they identify cell phone induced tumor vs. any other. Here's another link to comparable article that seems consistent with yours http://www.cancermonthly.com/blog/2007/12/braincancer-cellphones.html [Broken] I assume since most people are right handed, these are right side tumors?

Here's another article that researches and discusses glioma location and possible reasons http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1907421/

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 7, 2012 #4
    The Odds ratio is exactly what it sounds like, what are the odds one modality can use cancer over i guess the control. The confidence interval tells you that as long as your odds ratio is within it, it is statistically significant or else they probably wont publish the result.

By the way the same people who believe in the cell phone cancer thing also believe wireless modems

6. Sep 7, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think right handed people mostly hold their cell phones in their LEFT hands to keep their right hand free for actually DOING something.

7. Sep 8, 2012 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

The article you posted is the latest in a line: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22939605

A possible interpretation is given by http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22403263
    "Based on relative risks of glioma by tumour latency and cumulative hours of phone use in the Swedish study, predicted rates should have been at least 40% higher than observed rates in 2008. However, predicted glioma rates based on the small proportion of highly exposed people in the Interphone study could be consistent with the observed data."

The full text of the latter article seems to be free.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  8. Sep 10, 2012 #7
    Not me. Mostly right hand. If I'm doing something, it sits on my desk in speaker mode.

That brings to mind a question. My kids both have "cell phones", and I say "cell phones" because they use them 95% of the time to "text" and when they are actually using a phone as a phone, it's on speaker. I wonder if the studies factor in cell phone use that is texting or on speaker (not up to the ear), e.g. my kids?

9. Sep 10, 2012 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I've wondered this before, taking a look at most phone contracts (in the UK at least) the standard mix is for there to be a few hours of minutes and thousands of texts. Personally I tend to send anywhere between 5-20 texts on an average day but can go days without receiving or sending a call and most of the time those calls are for a couple of minutes.

10. Sep 10, 2012 #9
    The link wasn't usable for me either. The first link ThinkToday provided from Cancer Monthly seems to be the same study I looked at a few years ago judging by its date. As I recall there was large variability in the data from country to country and only when they combined the results from all the sources did there seem to be a trend. However, in researching gliomas, I discovered its incidence increases substantially with age. Since the hypothesis of their study was that the longer one uses a cell phone the more likely they were to contract a glioma, it would seem that those people who had used cell phones for more years would tend to be older than those who hadn't. The increased incidence with age was not mentioned in the study which makes me wonder if the study was adjusted for it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Sep 10, 2012 #10
    My 14 yo daughter averages about 12,000 a month.

12. Sep 11, 2012 #11
    I try to use the speakerphone whenever a call will last more than a minute or two.

13. Sep 11, 2012 #12
    but what difference does it make if your phone touches you face vs 1 feet away from you. The frequency of the wave doesnt change, the intensity does. But classically all the research in terms radiation and cancer have been done with varying frequencies of the waves. Either the wave penetrates you skin and skull and hits the brain or it doesnt. A change in distance cant make that much of difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook