Here's a bit of a challenge for all you math whizzes

  • Thread starter Thread starter rhymeswithpurpl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bit Challenge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 4K views
rhymeswithpurpl
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So my dad gave me this problem because he likes to bother me:

Explain why this is funny:
kkkkkkkkkkk.JPG


click on it to see a big picture since it won't let me do it this way :/

Does anyone get the joke?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{n\sin x}{nx}=\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{n\sin\!\!\!\!-x\!\!\!\!-}{n\!\!\!\!-x\!\!\!\!-}=nsi[/tex]

I think this joke is usually told so that an "n" cancels, changing sin x to six.
 
nealh149 said:
You canceled out the x and it doesn't work?

This response is much funnier than the original joke
 
CRGreathouse said:
I think this joke is usually told so that an "n" cancels, changing sin x to six.
some variations of that joke, i guess.
 
Office_Shredder said:
This response is much funnier than the original joke

Yes. The Meta-Joke (tm), which occurs when it becomes obvious that the joke-teller doesn't get his own joke.

- Warren
 
A joke along similar lines...
 
Attachments
  • pic16941.5.jpg
    pic16941.5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 662
jpr0 said:
A joke along similar lines...

that one is cool
 
fivestar said:
that one is cool

Although I can't thinl of a way to LaTeX it, short of using METAFONT.
 
jpr0 said:
A joke along similar lines...

I laughed and tipped my fish bowl all over my dorm floor lol.
 
HallsofIvy said:
"nsi" is National Science Institute?

Heh i was looking for something along those lines, but i was thinking national security inspectorate...
 
Robokapp said:
I laughed and tipped my fish bowl all over my dorm floor lol.

Oh No! Did the fish die? :rolleyes:
 
There was a thread called "Math is fun" a while ago by Equilibrium with a load of these.

If the punchline to the OP is NSI, that's a pretty crap joke - even by maths standards.
 
Q: What's the value of a contour integral around Western Europe?
A: Zero, because all the Poles are in Eastern Europe.
 
J77 said:
What's purple and commutes?

What's purple, commutes, and has a limited number of worshippers?
 
yenchin said:
Oh No! Did the fish die? :rolleyes:

bowl is shape of a sphere. Some water was left in because the hole went sidways. The fish flew out of the bowl though but no it didn't die :D

It sucks how you have to have an account to see it though, I'd love to share it with some friends but I'm too lazy to take and upload a screenshot of it...