1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here's a question i hope someone can answer

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    If time travel were possible in the current day and age - And you were to stay in a fixed point ( So you traveled in time but without changing your location) - If you were to go back to momments after the big bang , Where would you be?

Since the universe wasnt created yet - or hadnt expanded as the point in which you were fixated, would you be outside the universe? In another dimension?

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2
    Your question is if the universe is a submanifold of a hyperspace. This is impossible to prove from withing the manifold. If there is a hyperspace then your question makes sense and is already answered, if there is no hyperspace then your question is pointless.

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    If you are at rest relative to the universe you will go wherever it goes, you would not end up outside of it. Time traveling or not, you would not need to stay at a fixed point but rather accelerate to a velocity faster than the speed of light to go beyond the edges of the universe.

Asking about whats beyond the edge of the universe is like asking what is at the edge of the earth or the end of the rainbow. These things don't exist.

5. May 14, 2010 #4
    The question obviously isn't well defined but hypothetically you would just be burnt and crushed into your atomic then nuclear constituents, like everything else.

6. May 15, 2010 #5
    Outside the universe, there arent, at least in our vision, dimensions like as inside the universe. Before big bang, the coordinates you would stand at the moment, wouldnt exist. OR, they would exist somewhere in whatever caused the big bang.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook