Hermitian and unitary show all its eigen values are ±1

In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues of a matrix that is both Hermitian and unitary, which are ±1. The person asking the question is not sure how to solve this problem and is seeking help. They mention that they know the eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix are real and that a unitary matrix lies on a unit circle. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of the wave function and the number of real points on a unit circle. The person asking for help apologizes for erasing a template and mentions they are in their first year and just starting to learn about these concepts. The conversation ends with the person asking for a proper hint or help.
debjit625
OP warned about not providing an attempt at a solution

Homework Statement

If a matrix is both Hermitian and unitary show all its eigen values are ±1

Have no idea how to solve ,Have an idea what's hermitian and unitary matrix
I know eigen values of hermitian matrix are real and for a unitary matrix it on a unit circle .

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Good. Now write out in expressions (formulas) what this means for the wave function. And don't erase the template.

debjit625 said:

Homework Statement

If a matrix is both Hermitian and unitary show all its eigen values are ±1

Have no idea how to solve ,Have an idea what's hermitian and unitary matrix
I know eigen values of hermitian matrix are real and for a unitary matrix it on a unit circle .

Thanks
How many real points are there on the unit circle?

:smile:

Well I am sorry I erase the template,will not happen again.
But now the main thing
debjit625 said:
Have no idea how to solve
so that means I have no idea ,now that states my problem very well.
BvU said:
what this means for the wave function
what you are taking about I have no idea I am in first year and we just started learning these..
PeroK said:
How many real points are there on the unit circle?
I guess infinite but what I meant was that they are all at a distance 1 unit from the center.

I would appreciate a proper help/hint from you guys ,these are not helping me at all

We do what we can but apparently have no good idea about your situation. You ask something that looks pretty advanced but can't tell how many points on the unit circle in the complex plane are real. So tell us a little more -- what course is this ? Math, quantum mechanics, ?

Your
debjit625 said:
perhaps gave us the wrong impression. Do you know what unit circle ?

1. What is a Hermitian matrix?

A Hermitian matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that the elements on the main diagonal are real numbers, and the elements below the main diagonal are the complex conjugates of the elements above the main diagonal.

2. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. This means that multiplying a unitary matrix by its conjugate transpose will result in the identity matrix.

3. How do you show that all eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix are ±1?

To show that all eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix are ±1, we can use the spectral theorem, which states that a Hermitian matrix can be diagonalized by a unitary matrix. This means that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix will be the diagonal entries of the diagonalized matrix, and since a unitary matrix has eigenvalues of magnitude 1, the eigenvalues of the diagonalized matrix (and therefore the original Hermitian matrix) will also have magnitude 1.

4. Why is it important for a Hermitian matrix to have eigenvalues of ±1?

Having eigenvalues of ±1 for a Hermitian matrix is important because it allows us to easily determine the inverse of the matrix. Since the eigenvalues are either 1 or -1, their reciprocals are also 1 or -1, making the inverse of the matrix relatively simple to calculate.

5. Can a matrix have eigenvalues of ±1 without being both Hermitian and unitary?

Yes, it is possible for a matrix to have eigenvalues of ±1 without being both Hermitian and unitary. For example, a diagonal matrix with diagonal entries of ±1 will have eigenvalues of ±1, but it is not necessarily Hermitian or unitary.