Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian of product of two matrices

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    Hi,

i was wondering how the following expression can be decomposed:

Let A=B°C, where B, C are rectangular random matrices and (°) denotes Hadamard product sign. Also, let (.) (.)H denote Hermitian transposition.

Then, AH *A how can be decomposed in terms of B and C ??

For example, AH *A = BH*B ° CH*C, or something like that ??

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 2, 2014 #3
    The identity you propose is false.

[tex]\left(A^H A\right)_{ij}= \sum_k (A^H)_{ik} A_{kj} = \sum_k A^*_{ki} A_{kj}[/tex]
    [tex]= \sum_k B^*_{ki}C^*_{ki} B_{kj}C_{kj} \neq \left[\left(B^H B \right) \circ \left(C^H C \right)\right]_{ij} = \left( \sum_k B^*_{ki}B_{kj} \right) \left(\sum_\ell C^*_{\ell i}C_{\ell j} \right) [/tex]

From this I believe [itex]\left(B \circ C \right)^H \left(B \circ C \right) = \left(B^H B \right) \circ \left(C^H C \right) + \text{stuff}[/itex]

However I'm not sure if there is a neat way of expressing "stuff". I wasn't able to find any identities using only the matrix product, Hadamard product, and the conjugate transpose. But, maybe there is one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook