Hermitian of product of two matrices

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
nikozm
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Hi,

i was wondering how the following expression can be decomposed:

Let A=B°C, where B, C are rectangular random matrices and (°) denotes Hadamard product sign. Also, let (.) (.)H denote Hermitian transposition.

Then, AH *A how can be decomposed in terms of B and C ??

For example, AH *A = BH*B ° CH*C, or something like that ??

Thank you in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The identity you propose is false.

[tex]\left(A^H A\right)_{ij}= \sum_k (A^H)_{ik} A_{kj} = \sum_k A^*_{ki} A_{kj}[/tex]
[tex]= \sum_k B^*_{ki}C^*_{ki} B_{kj}C_{kj} \neq \left[\left(B^H B \right) \circ \left(C^H C \right)\right]_{ij} = \left( \sum_k B^*_{ki}B_{kj} \right) \left(\sum_\ell C^*_{\ell i}C_{\ell j} \right)[/tex]

From this I believe [itex]\left(B \circ C \right)^H \left(B \circ C \right) = \left(B^H B \right) \circ \left(C^H C \right) + \text{stuff}[/itex]

However I'm not sure if there is a neat way of expressing "stuff". I wasn't able to find any identities using only the matrix product, Hadamard product, and the conjugate transpose. But, maybe there is one.