Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics

In summary, the momentum operator:px = -iħ∂/∂xis a Hermitian operator because it satisfies the following equation: \langle \psi_1|\hat{p} \psi_2 \rangle=\langle \hat{p} \psi_1|\psi_2 \rangle.
sams
Gold Member
Hello everyone,

There's something I am not understanding in Hermitian operators.

Could anyone explain why the momentum operator:
px = -iħ∂/∂x
is a Hermitian operator? Knowing that Hermitian operators is equal to their adjoints (A = A), how come the complex conjugate of px (iħ∂/∂x) = px (-iħ∂/∂x) ?

Thank you so much for your support...

Physics news on Phys.org
A hermitean operator ##\hat{p}## fulfills
$$\langle \psi_1|\hat{p} \psi_2 \rangle=\langle \hat{p} \psi_1|\psi_2 \rangle$$
for all vecotrs ##|\psi_1 \rangle## and ##|\psi_2 \rangle## in the domain of the operator. In the position representation for the momentum operator you have ##\hat{p}=-\mathrm{i} \partial_x## and the scalar product is the usual ##\mathrm{L}^2## product. Now indeed ##\hat{p}## is hermitean since via integration by parts you get
$$\langle \psi_1|\hat{p} \psi_2 \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \psi_2^*(x)(-\mathrm{i} \partial_x) \psi_1(x) = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x +\mathrm{i} \partial_x \psi_1^* \psi_2(x) = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x [-\mathrm{i} \partial_r \psi_1(x)]^{*} \psi_2(x)=\langle{\hat{p} \psi_1}|\psi_2 \rangle.$$
So ##\hat{p}## is hermitean.

OK, so according to http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/PChem/notes/MomentumHermitian.pdf

We proved that: (-iħ∂/∂x)* = iħ∂/∂x

Thus, (px)* = -px

and not (px)* = px

sams said:
OK, so according to http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/PChem/notes/MomentumHermitian.pdf

We proved that: (-iħ∂/∂x)* = iħ∂/∂x

Thus, (px)* = -px

and not (px)* = px
No, of course I didn't prove an obviously wrong result. Please read more carefully what I posted! The linked document doesn't make sense to me.

Likes bhobba and Demystifier
What makes you think that the adjoint of an operator is the same as the complex conjugate of an operator?

Well, I guess that's due to the misleading notation of the linked paper :-(.

vanhees71 said:
No, of course I didn't prove an obviously wrong result. Please read more carefully what I posted! The linked document doesn't make sense to me.

I am sorry Dr. vanhees71 for this confusion. My reply was for response #2.
Thank you for your reply and for valuable information.

DrDu said:
What makes you think that the adjoint of an operator is the same as the complex conjugate of an operator?

I think any operator should be inserted in an eigenvalue equation. If this operator is Hermitian, it should leads to a physical observable and gives the same eigenvalue as its complex conjugate.

However, the definition of a Hermitian operator is:
A = A*

If the latter equation is true, can we state that the following:
px = -iħ∂/∂x = iħ∂/∂x = (px)* ?

We can clearly realize that px ≠ (px)*

This is very misleading, as this discussion shows. The hermitean conjugation of an operator is not simply its complex conjugation. It's not even clear, how to define it, but the adjoint operator ##\hat{A}^{\dagger}## to an operator ##\hat{A}## is defined such that
$$\langle \psi_1 |\hat{A} \psi_2 \rangle=\langle \hat{A}^{\dagger} \psi_1|\psi_2 \rangle.$$
Note that I leave out the somewhat subtle questions on domains and codomains of the operators here. This we can discuss as soon as the usual physicists' meaning of hermitean conjugation is understood.

sams said:
I think any operator should be inserted in an eigenvalue equation. If this operator is Hermitian, it should leads to a physical observable and gives the same eigenvalue as its complex conjugate.
Congratulations! You just rediscovered the fact that complex conjugation of an operator depends on the chosen basis.

Likes Truecrimson and bhobba
Dear Sirs,

Thank you so much for this valuable discussion.

Best wishes

1. What is a Hermitian operator in quantum mechanics?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents a physical observable, such as position, momentum, or energy. It is a linear operator that satisfies a specific mathematical property known as Hermiticity, which means that its eigenvalues (possible measurement outcomes) are all real numbers.

2. How are Hermitian operators related to quantum measurements?

In quantum mechanics, the act of measuring a physical observable corresponds to applying a Hermitian operator to a quantum state. The result of the measurement is one of the eigenvalues of the operator, and the corresponding eigenstate becomes the new state of the system. This relationship is known as the eigenvalue-eigenstate link.

3. Can all physical observables be represented by Hermitian operators?

Yes, in quantum mechanics, all physical observables can be represented by Hermitian operators. This is known as the postulate of quantum mechanics, and it is a fundamental principle of the theory. However, not all Hermitian operators correspond to physically meaningful observables, as some may have complex eigenvalues that cannot be measured.

4. What happens when two Hermitian operators are multiplied?

The result of multiplying two Hermitian operators is another Hermitian operator. This is known as the closure property of Hermitian operators and is a consequence of the fact that Hermitian operators form a vector space. This property is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the mathematical representation of physical observables is consistent and self-contained.

5. How do Hermitian operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that certain pairs of physical observables, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. Hermitian operators represent these observables, and their mathematical properties, such as commutativity, can help explain the uncertainty principle. For example, the non-commutativity of position and momentum operators is related to the uncertainty in these measurements.