Hesienburg Uncertainity Principal

• Thread starter Tigersharkmks
  • Start date
In summary, the uncertainty principle states that we can't measure simultaneously both the position and momentum of a quantum object. This is because wave-particle duality exists and the particle can only be observed as a wave. This means that the position and momentum of a quantum object are not necessarily well defined and can be at different values. Furthermore, there is no lower limit to the uncertainty in the measurement of a single observable.
Tigersharkmks
As per Heinsburg uncertainity principle, Δx*Δp≈h. It means we cannot actually measure simentenously both position and momentum of the matter. They reason out this because of wave-particle duality of matter. So my question is wheather we dont't know the exact x and p of matter under consideration or the matter itself deosnt know it what is its position or momentum. To make my question more clear, does uncertainity means our knowledge in limited but nature is absolute or nature itself doesn't know in which state it is?
Also can Δx or Δp be ever zero. I'm asking this because if this is not the case, then my interpretation that position of say electron is then not localised but spread, so does this give rise to wave like nature of electron (because wave are also spread). Correct me if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tigersharkmks said:
As per Heinsburg uncertainity principle, Δx*Δp≈h. It means we cannot actually measure simentenously both position and momentum of the matter. They reason out this because of wave-particle duality of matter. So my question is wheather we dont't know the exact x and p of matter under consideration or the matter itself deosnt know it what is its position or momentum. To make my question more clear, does uncertainity means our knowledge in limited but nature is absolute or nature itself doesn't know in which state it is?
Also can Δx or Δp be ever zero. I'm asking this because if this is not the case, then my interpretation that position of say electron is then not localised but spread, so does this give rise to wave like nature of electron (because wave are also spread). Correct me if I am wrong.

1. As far as can be determined scientifically today, it appears that quantum objects do not possesses simultaneously well defined values for non-commuting operators. So X and P are not both defined, and it is not an issue of knowledge.

2. There appears to be no lower limit to uncertainty for the measurement of a single observable. So Δx or Δp can be zero.

Likes 2 people
DrChinese said:
2. There appears to be no lower limit to uncertainty for the measurement of a single observable. So Δx or Δp can be zero.

I would have thought that the uncertainty of Δx or Δp can't be zero, as it would violate the principle.

This thread sets new standards when it comes to spelling uncertainty. Please, my eyes are bleeding.

LOL :rofl: Thank god it wasn't Principal Hindenburg ... ouch my stomach huirts

* updating signature *

StevieTNZ said:
I would have thought that the uncertainty of Δx or Δp can't be zero, as it would violate the principle.

Maybe your missing or? Afaik, both Δx and Δp can't be zero, as this would violate quantum vacuum zero-point energy (i.e. the energy of its ground state).

600px-Harmoszi_nullpunkt.png

The energy of the quantum ground state is [itex]E_0 = \hbar \omega / 2[/itex]

Where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency at which the system oscillates and [itex]\hbar[/itex] is Planck's constant [itex]h[/itex] dived by [itex]2\pi[/itex], which is an extremely tiny number ≈ 1.05457×10−34 J s.

As long as the HUP is respected, Δx or Δp can be arbitrarily close to zero but not exactly zero.

This is because the corresponding states (delta distributions and plane waves) are not normalizable which means that we cannot interpret |ψ|² as a probability (density) as needed for QM.

kith said:
As long as the HUP is respected, Δx or Δp can be arbitrarily close to zero but not exactly zero.This is because the corresponding states (delta distributions and plane waves) are not normalizable which means that we cannot interpret |ψ|² as a probability (density) as needed for QM.

Indeed such states are not physically realizable, and are not square integrable which they must be to be physical.

But they are introduced for mathematical convenience being part of the Rigged Hilbert space formalism QM really depends on. The test functions of the space are the physically realizable states, things like the Dirac delta function are linear functions defined on those states to make the math easier eg so things like position operators have eigenvectors.

Thanks
Bill

This is the greatest thread ever

1. What is the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision. This means that the more accurately we know one of these properties, the less accurately we can know the other.

2. Who discovered the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenburg in 1927.

3. Why is the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle important?

The Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a fundamental limit on the precision with which we can measure certain properties of particles. It also has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been supported by numerous experimental observations. It cannot be violated.

5. How does the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle relate to everyday life?

The Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle may seem like an abstract concept, but it has real-world implications. It is the reason why we cannot predict the exact location and momentum of everyday objects, such as a moving car or a bouncing ball. It also plays a role in technologies such as MRI machines, which use quantum principles to create images of the human body.