Hexegonal shaped mold in apple juice

• Thread starter Edhel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apple
In summary, a person discovered a formation of mold in their week-old apple juice. The mold is relatively solid and stays intact when the bottle is shaken. There are also oval-shaped indentations on each corner. The person is asking if anyone knows what kind of mold this is. Another person suggests that the bottle be cut open and photographed for a more accurate examination.
Edhel
So my friend found a formation of mold in his week old apple juice. It's relatively solid as the formation stays intact when the bottle is shaken. There are oval shaped indentations on each corner. Does anyone know specifically what kind of mold this is? Thanks!

Attachments

• 12172011267.jpg
    12172011267.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 481
  • 12172011268.jpg
    12172011268.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 486
Biology news on Phys.org
Edhel said:
So my friend found a formation of mold in his week old apple juice. It's relatively solid as the formation stays intact when the bottle is shaken. There are oval shaped indentations on each corner. Does anyone know specifically what kind of mold this is? Thanks!
It looks like it was shaped then set loose in the solution. I have had bottles of that brand of juice far older with only a tiny spot of mold. (my daughter likes juice, drinks in the car, half empty bottle roles under the seats, found later). No telling what was introduced into that bottle.

Last edited:
Sorry to say so, but for a half way scientific examination, the bottle should be cut open, and a vertical, sharp, photo be taken. seen like this, it could be anything like
a painted cracker.

1. What causes hexagonal shaped mold in apple juice?

The hexagonal shape of the mold is caused by the presence of a common type of mold called Aspergillus niger. This mold produces spores in a specific pattern that creates the distinct hexagonal shape when it grows on the surface of apple juice.

2. Is hexagonal shaped mold in apple juice harmful to consume?

Although the presence of mold in apple juice may be unappetizing, it is not necessarily harmful to consume. However, if you are immune-compromised or have allergies, it is best to avoid consuming moldy apple juice.

3. How can I prevent hexagonal shaped mold from growing in my apple juice?

The best way to prevent mold growth in apple juice is to properly store it in the refrigerator after opening and consume it within the recommended time frame. Keeping the container tightly sealed and avoiding temperature fluctuations can also help prevent mold growth.

4. Can I still use apple juice with hexagonal shaped mold for cooking?

If the mold growth is limited to the surface of the apple juice, it is generally safe to use the juice for cooking. However, if the juice looks or smells off, it is best to discard it to avoid any potential health risks.

5. Are there any health risks associated with consuming apple juice with hexagonal shaped mold?

In most cases, consuming apple juice with hexagonal shaped mold is not harmful. However, if you experience any adverse reactions such as stomach upset or allergic reactions, it is best to avoid consuming the juice and consult a medical professional.