Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey, bring your laptop, use maple!

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    This is the first time I've ever heard these words from a professor:

"Hey, bring your laptop! (To the tests) Use maple/mathmatica/excel! That's what it's for!"

This is from my probability professor. *glee* My calculator actually performs all the necessary functions, with convenient menu buttons. Yay! This isn't really my intended future field anyway. I just got stuck with this class due to scheduling limitations.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That probably means that he'll ask questions where the laptop is useless... :frown:

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    I didn't get that impression. He just seems easy. He also hand-writes all the notes and posts them online for us to print out.

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4
    Is it a very applied probability course for science , finance, etc majors or a probability theory for math majors course?
    It makes sense to make students in the first category learn to use all the tools they can possibly have at their disposal.

6. Sep 10, 2011 #5
    We're definitely not learning probability theory. Now that would be more my area of interest. It is part of the math major courses, but I think it is also shared by the statistics major.

7. Sep 10, 2011 #6

Dembadon

Gold Member

This is what my linear algebra professor told us this semester.

[Heavy Turkish Accent] "You can use anything you want on the exams for my class, with the exception of cellular phones. However, you will probably find that your electronics will not be of use." [/Heavy Turkish Accent]

8. Sep 10, 2011 #7
    Scary :eek:

9. Sep 10, 2011 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Prof. Vanadium, can we use a calculator?"
    "Yes, but it will only be useful as a straightedge".

10. Sep 11, 2011 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

11. Sep 11, 2011 #10
    lol!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook