Hi,I have:AX + X = B, all of them being matrices. I have the

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
G.In summary, Peter G. is trying to solve for the values of a,b,c,d in the equation AX + X = B, where A and B are matrices with known numbers. They suggest multiplying both sides by A-1, but this method is incorrect. The correct method is to use (A+I)^-1 on the left side of the equation.
Peter G.
Hi,

I have:

AX + X = B, all of them being matrices. I have the numbers in the A and B matrices and I have to find the exact values of a,b,c,d (numbers in the X matrix)

I wanted to check if my method is correct:

I multiplied both sides by A-1.

2X = A-1B

So my values for abcd would be half of the matrix I get when I multiply A-1 by B:

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org

That's not quite right. We'd have

[tex] AX +X = (A+I)X =B,[/tex]

so if A+I were invertible then [itex] X = (A+I)^{-1}B[/itex].

Peter G. said:
AX + X = B, all of them being matrices. I have the numbers in the A and B matrices and I have to find the exact values of a,b,c,d (numbers in the X matrix)

I wanted to check if my method is correct:

I multiplied both sides by A-1.

2X = A-1B
To elaborate on what stringy said, here is apparently what you did:
AX + X = B
A-1AX + X = A-1B
X + X = A-1B
2X = A-1B

Step 2 above is incorrect - you didn't multiply the entire left side of the equation by A-1.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the help. Impressive how the "Matrix World" can make me commit mistakes I probably wouldn't in the "Real Number World" :redface:

Thanks,
Peter

1. What is the formula for solving a matrix equation?

The formula for solving a matrix equation is to first isolate the unknown matrix on one side of the equal sign and move all other matrices to the opposite side. Then, use inverse operations to solve for the unknown matrix.

2. How do you solve for the unknown matrix in a matrix equation?

To solve for the unknown matrix, use inverse operations to isolate it on one side of the equal sign. This can include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once the unknown matrix is isolated, perform the inverse operation to solve for its values.

3. Can you solve a matrix equation with only one unknown matrix?

Yes, a matrix equation can be solved with only one unknown matrix. However, the equation must be consistent, meaning there is a unique solution for the unknown matrix, and the matrices involved must be square and invertible.

4. What is the importance of matrix equations in scientific research?

Matrix equations are important in scientific research because they allow for the representation and manipulation of complex data and relationships between variables. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving matrix equations?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving matrix equations, such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and Cholesky decomposition. These techniques can be used to solve large and complex matrix equations efficiently and accurately.