Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi-way Access to ME & Africa thr' Pakistan

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1
    Hi guys, how are you doing? (This is not a troll :biggrin: o:) )

First of all, my apologies if this post does not satisfy any of your guidelines, I am posting it chiefly to satisfy my own curiosity and secondly to alert you to a not insignificant development between China and Pakistan.

I read from a Chinese website that Pakistan has agreed to allow China highway access to the Arabian Sea, a development that has presumably been alluded to in a previous report in Feb, again in a Chinese website.

You will see from the map that great distance will be saved in terms of accessing ME and Africa from the western part of China. Conceivably it will be a great boon to the economic development of the area and it will also mean the US control of the oil passage to China through the Strait is undermined.

The question I want to raise is, have any of you heard anything about it from your media? In either case, I thank you, and just thought I should alert you guys about this development.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Polly, that map does not do justice to the difficulties involved in building and traversing a land route across several hundreds of miles of the most rugged terrain in the world.

So, as an additional resource :

[​IMG]

4. Apr 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks Polly,
    It's funny that a Bush...err I mean supposedly US friend is getting friendly with China and undermining possible US tactics in this way.

5. Apr 6, 2006 #4
    Hi Gokul :smile: :smile: :smile: Long time no see! Greetings!

6. Apr 6, 2006 #5
  7. Apr 6, 2006 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Five or six hundred miles as the crow flies, maybe a thousand following the water gaps on the river systems, at a nickel to dime a ton mile vs. tenths of a cent a ton mile for VLCCs --- economics say it's a "no-go." As far as "U.S. control of straits" on sea lanes to China, which strait(s) are you talking about? Hormuz? Iranian and Saudi(?) territorial waters, with an international strip. Ma(o)la(u)cca? Same game, different countries (Malay(si)a, Indonesia).

8. Apr 6, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Apr 6, 2006 #8
  10. Apr 7, 2006 #9
    If you look at other maps it plainly shows a shared border. That UN map is a bit confusing and I'm not sure if it's more accurate or maybe the amount of detail sort of obscures clear definition of the ME borders.

11. Apr 7, 2006 #10
    Off course they do! Its not exactly the easiest pass in the world ie over the roof of the world but they share a border

12. Apr 7, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The two regions bordering China are the Jammu region and the Kashmir region. The Jammu region is under Pakistani control.

The highway already exists, even though it's far from the equivalent of a US interstate (as should be obvious from Polly's pictures). The highway follows the river up from Gilgit and across the divide to China. Here's a more simplistic map showing the route - (The Karakoram Highway)

The effort is to improve the highway to the point that it can be a commercial thoroughfare (and hopefully reduce the number of closures due to rock slides).

If you lived in that region, now would be the time to get in a few trips while it's still in a more primitive state. The area looks pretty awesome.

13. Apr 7, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, I'm not saying that Pakistan and China do not share a border. I was merely using the technical discrepancy in the UN map to hint at the possible geopolitical complications involved. But seeing as how there already exist highways in this region, my point is moot.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  14. Apr 7, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, the technicality of the Pakistan-China border revolves around whether or not Jammu (part of Jammu & Kashmir) is considered part of Pakistan.

Even with that resolved, I have to wonder about the efficacy of using a highway through the Hindu Kush. Rail (container) would perhaps be more practical - but that is my own personal bias - I like to minimize energy consumption.

Well, they have to go through either India or Pakistan, otherwise there is Myanmar. Any other route involves more than one nation (e.g Laos/Thailand) or (India/Bangladesh), and that increases potential for disruption.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?