Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs boson and the future of quantum phyiscs

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    Can anybody throw light on the following doubts?

1.what is the implication of the recent discovery of the higgs boson in the quantum physics? Does it support the quantum nature of matter and wave and the uncertainty principle?
    2. It is said that Einstein did not accept the quantum theory as it is based on probability of happenings but what Einstein believed in the deterministic theory of nature. He is said to quote those famous words" God does not play dice with the universe".What is the implication of the finding of the new particle regarding the above words of Einstein? Does the discovery of higgs boson make Eistein's words wrong or right?

I will be grateful if any body explains in simple language about these aspects.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, the Higgs supports the Standard Model. The LACK of a Higgs would be a problem, but the presence of it was expected.

no effect ... quantum mechanics in general and quantum entanglement in particular has already made that particular statement wrong.

EDIT: I might be wrong about the relationship between quantum entanglement and Einstein's preference for determinism, but quantum mechanics is definitely not deterministic.

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. A little more elaborate discussion is welcome. What I want to clarify is that whether the recent discovery confirms the particle nature of the field. Which means then that the field is not continuous one as Einstein is said to believe strongly?

Also I could not understand what exactly this higgs filed is? Is it the field surrounding the so called Higgs boson? Does this field create the higgs particle or the vice versa?

With this discovery,are all the particles due in the standard model found? What about the hypothetical graviton? Has the higgs boson any thing to do with that?

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not expert on this, but it's all been discussed here many times ... I suggest you do forum searches

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    The Higgs particle has a similar relation to the Higgs field as the photon has to the electromagnetic field. All fields in the Standard model have associated particles. The existence of particles does not mean the fields aren't continuous. You can think of the particles as ripples in the fields. The association of fields and particles is a generic property of "quantum field theory," which is the mathematical framework used in particle physics. Quantum field theory has been our best description of particle physics since the 1940's or something.

With the discovery of the Higgs, if it is indeed the standard model Higgs, all the particles of the standard model have been found. However the standard model has a few dissatisfying properties which suggest that there is more to find.

For example, the standard model does not include gravity, which is handled separately by the theory of general relativity. So the Higgs boson has nothing to do with gravity or gravitons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook