High-Paying jobs accepting physics BAs?

• Physics
  • Thread starter DoesntCommute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs Physics
In summary, the person is seeking opinions and advice on potential high-paying jobs with a BA in physics for the upcoming fall. The conversation mentions investment banking as a high-paying option, as well as the possibility of starting one's own company. Another suggestion is to become a high school physics teacher through an alternative certification program, with a potential salary of $32k-$42k/year depending on location. The conversation also brings up the potential challenges of finding teaching jobs due to budget troubles, but suggests that there will always be a need for physics and math teachers in certain areas.
DoesntCommute
I'm looking for opinions/advice... what kinds of jobs do you think I could get with a BA in physics that would pay the most?

I'm looking for something to do starting next fall.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the highest-paying job you've applied for? Probably that one.

Investment Banking

Some CEOs are paid in the millions per year and have physics degrees.

You can start your own company next Fall.

Well, while it's not a "high" paying position, if you entered an alternative certification program and began teaching high school physics with just a bachelor's, you're probably looking at a $32k-$42k/year salary depending on geographic location and local school politics.

ks_physicist said:
Well, while it's not a "high" paying position, if you entered an alternative certification program and began teaching high school physics with just a bachelor's, you're probably looking at a $32k-$42k/year salary depending on geographic location and local school politics.

I wonder though with the budget troubles that so many states are having, if their really is much hiring of teachers going on? Probably depends a lot on the state or area though.

I'm willing to bet that for physics and math teachers, there will always be a need, if you're not constraining yourself to any geographic locations and/or ...certain neighborhoods...

1. What are some high-paying job options for individuals with a physics BA?

There are several high-paying job options for individuals with a physics BA, including nuclear engineer, aerospace engineer, data scientist, financial analyst, and patent attorney.

2. How much can I expect to earn with a physics BA?

The salary for individuals with a physics BA can vary greatly depending on the specific job, location, and experience level. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers is $122,850 as of May 2020.

3. Do I need additional education or training to qualify for high-paying jobs with a physics BA?

In most cases, a physics BA is sufficient for entry-level positions in high-paying fields such as engineering, finance, and data science. However, some employers may prefer or require a graduate degree or additional certifications.

4. Are there any industries that typically offer high-paying jobs for physics BAs?

Physics BAs can find high-paying jobs in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, technology, finance, energy, and research and development.

5. What skills do I need to excel in high-paying jobs with a physics BA?

In addition to strong analytical and problem-solving skills, individuals with a physics BA should also have a solid understanding of mathematics, computer programming, and statistical analysis. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also important for success in high-paying jobs.