Seeking insights on careers in theoretical physics and cosmology

DanielcoderX
TL;DR Summary: Aspiring physicist seeking insights on job prospects, education paths, and salaries in theoretical physics and cosmology. Share your experiences and advice for informed decision-making. Thanks!

Dear members of the forum,

I'm currently in Grade 11, seeking insights on theoretical physics and cosmology careers. Aspiring physicist with a passion for cosmology, eager to understand job opportunities, educational paths, and potential salaries.

Background: I am an aspiring physicist with a keen interest in theoretical physics, particularly in the field of cosmology, including endeavors such as solving the Hawking equation(aware of that's a big dream). While my intellectual curiosity propels me forward, I am eager to gather practical information about job opportunities, educational progression, and potential salaries in these domains.

Specific Questions:
  1. Job Opportunities: I am interested in understanding the job landscape for individuals specializing in theoretical physics and cosmology. What roles are typically available in academia, research institutions, and relevant industries?
  2. Educational Progression: After completing a bachelor's degree, is pursuing a master's degree a common and recommended path in theoretical physics and cosmology? Could you share insights into the typical milestones and challenges in advancing one's education in these fields?
  3. Salaries: While my passion drives me, I am also mindful of the practical aspects. Could you provide insights into typical salary ranges for professionals in theoretical physics and cosmology? How do salaries vary across different sectors and levels of experience?
Sharing Your Insights: Your experiences and perspectives are invaluable not only to me but also to other members considering or already immersed in these fields. Please feel free to share your career trajectories, challenges overcome, and any advice you may have for individuals navigating the world of theoretical physics and cosmology.

I appreciate your time and look forward to a fruitful discussion that will contribute to informed decision-making for aspiring physicists like myself. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some relevant reading:
So you want to be a physicist...

1. As for job opportunities in cosmology, there aren't too many. You're looking at a job in academia if this is going to be your career and there are many more PhDs trained than there are positions. Most people, even very intelligent and hard-working ones, end up leaving the field. That said, you're still in high school. There are a lot of doors that will open up along the path to a physics education, and there is a lot more to physics than just cosmology.

2. Assuming you're talking about the US, it's most common for students to complete a BSc and then jump straight into the PhD. In Canada, we more typically sandwich an MSc in the middle, although the overall timespan is quite similar assuming you don't switch fields. Following the PhD, it's typical to do some years of post-doctoral work before you can apply and be competitive for a tenure-track academic position. Most people following this route are in their mid-thirties before they get to a stable career position. That leads into...

3. From a financial point of view, the opportunity cost is something to consider. Once you have an academic position, the pay isn't bad, but the salaries of graduate students and post docs are pretty close to and even below what's typically considered a "living wage." Compared to your buddy who graduated with an engineering degree at 23, you will be over a decade behind in starting on a mortgage, retirement savings and/or paying off student loans.

For the record, I'm not trying to knock cosmology. If that's your passion... go for it. As I said there are lots of great doors that will be open along the way.

Likes DeBangis21, gwnorth, Math100 and 2 others
Choppy said:
Some relevant reading:
So you want to be a physicist...

1. As for job opportunities in cosmology, there aren't too many. You're looking at a job in academia if this is going to be your career and there are many more PhDs trained than there are positions. Most people, even very intelligent and hard-working ones, end up leaving the field. That said, you're still in high school. There are a lot of doors that will open up along the path to a physics education, and there is a lot more to physics than just cosmology.

2. Assuming you're talking about the US, it's most common for students to complete a BSc and then jump straight into the PhD. In Canada, we more typically sandwich an MSc in the middle, although the overall timespan is quite similar assuming you don't switch fields. Following the PhD, it's typical to do some years of post-doctoral work before you can apply and be competitive for a tenure-track academic position. Most people following this route are in their mid-thirties before they get to a stable career position. That leads into...

3. From a financial point of view, the opportunity cost is something to consider. Once you have an academic position, the pay isn't bad, but the salaries of graduate students and post docs are pretty close to and even below what's typically considered a "living wage." Compared to your buddy who graduated with an engineering degree at 23, you will be over a decade behind in starting on a mortgage, retirement savings and/or paying off student loans.

For the record, I'm not trying to knock cosmology. If that's your passion... go for it. As I said there are lots of great doors that will be open along the way.
Hope you're doing well! Your insights have been invaluable. Quick question: in your experience, which subfield of physics, particularly in theoretical physics, tends to offer more stable salaries and promising career paths for the future? Keen to get your take on this.

Your profile says "Iran". An important decision will be whether you want (or can) study outside Iran or not. If the answer is that you do, you might need to think about that as a first step.

DanielcoderX said:
Quick question: in your experience, which subfield of physics, particularly in theoretical physics, tends to offer more stable salaries and promising career paths for the future?
More stable and higher salaries tend to come where there are direct applications outside of academia. Medical physics and geophysics for example tend to be this way because these are professional fields. Lots of people make the jump from various branches of physics to data science, programming, or engineering because the skills sets are similar.

Likes DeBangis21 and DanielcoderX
Vanadium 50 said:
Your profile says "Iran". An important decision will be whether you want (or can) study outside Iran or not. If the answer is that you do, you might need to think about that as a first step.
Yes, actually the first step I've should get it done is going for emigration to another country (currently, I'm doing research and looking for some applying position to get over after getting diploma degreee).
At all, I'm not going to stay here anyway.