1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school honors vs college honors?

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    I'm a senior in high school right now.
    My guidance counselor called me into his office and he told me that I'm graduating in the top 20% of my class and my overall GPA from all four years of being there is 3.5.
    So he told me that I'm eligible for a scholarship and I should consider applying for it. Which would mean I have to take a test and then if I pass it, on top of being in the top 20% and my gpa, I would be awarded a scholarship which would pay full tuition per semester
    And as long as I was enrolled full time in honors classes and maintained a 3.5 GPA they would continue to pay for a semester.
    But that can't be easy right? Or else they wouldn't be paying a full tuition.
    So I don't know how realistic that would be for me.
    The only honors classes ive taken in high school were honors chemistry and honors physics.
    They didn't feel any different than a normal class.
    Any opinions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2
    I'm not sure what kind of program this is which pays your full-time tuition, but I'm extremely jealous. Is it for a particular university, or for anywhere you plan on going?

In my experience, college honors courses are not exceptionally difficult. At my university, at least, honors courses are for the sole purpose of getting "honors" credit, which is required to remain in good standing with the university honors program. But this sounds like an entirely different program than what is typical at universities.

Overall, your best bet might be to look at the honors courses for that particular school. If possible, e-mail the professors of the classes and ask how they differ from a normal class.

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3

Here's a link to the scholarship.

http://mcli.maricopa.edu/honors/presidents-scholarship [Broken]

Reading over it, it says the top 15% of your class. Even though he told me 20%.
    So before someone points that out. I already saw it. I won't know the exact percentage I graduated at until my graduation day but I'm sure he wouldn't tell me about this if I wasn't eligible.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Apr 12, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't see the down side of applying for this.

"Honours" can have different meanings at different schools, but generally it's the track that will prepare you for graduate school. It's not easy to maintain a 3.5 GPA for most people, but if you get a free ride out of it and you were planning to go through university anyway it's definitely a good idea,

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5
    Do you want to go to this university?

If you do, then it's a no-brainer, apply for it. Worst comes to worst, you get one free quarter/semester/year and then have to do the usual work study and loan thing to pay for the rest. If you apply yourself though, the prospect of a free ride is certainly an attractive one!

If you really aren't interested in this school outside of the scholarship, that's a very different thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook