High speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action

In summary, the conversation discusses a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by laser light, with an infrared beam monitoring the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. The double bond conjugated to the carbonyl is responsible for absorbing IR radiation. The use of Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy is preferred over other techniques due to its faster scanning time.
EIRE2003
So what's happening is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action of laser light.

An infrared beam moniters the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. But what is an acrylate double bond? Am I correct in saying that a double bond absorbs IR radiation?
The double bond is the bond between a CH2 and a CH, in the paper that I am reading.

My next question is, why use Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy over any other spectroscopic technique to determine the amount of unreacted double bonds through time in a sample?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

EIRE2003 said:
So what's happening is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action of laser light.

An infrared beam moniters the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. But what is an acrylate double bond? Am I correct in saying that a double bond absorbs IR radiation?
That's the one.

The double bond is the bond between a CH2 and a CH, in the paper that I am reading.
Actually the double bond conjugated to the carbonyl is the absorbing species. The carbonyl peak shifts slightly when conjugated to the double bond.

My next question is, why use Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy over any other spectroscopic technique to determine the amount of unreacted double bonds through time in a sample?
You can take a FT scan in less than a second vs a scanning IR that might take a few minutes per scan.

Thank you :)

1. What is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action?

A high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action is a chemical process in which monomer molecules are linked together to form long chains, known as polymers, at a rapid rate. This reaction is triggered by a specific action, such as heat, light, or a catalyst.

2. What is the purpose of a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action?

The purpose of a high speed polymerization reaction is to produce polymers with specific properties, such as strength, flexibility, or heat resistance. These polymers can then be used in various applications, such as manufacturing plastics, adhesives, and coatings.

3. What factors affect the speed of a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action?

The speed of a high speed polymerization reaction can be affected by several factors, including the type and concentration of the monomers, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, the presence of a catalyst, and the intensity of the triggering action. Changes in these factors can significantly impact the rate of the reaction.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action?

When working with high speed polymerization reactions, it is important to take proper safety precautions to prevent accidents and ensure the well-being of those involved. This may include wearing protective equipment, working in a well-ventilated area, and following strict procedures for handling and disposing of chemicals.

5. What are some common applications of high speed polymerization reactions initiated by the action?

High speed polymerization reactions are widely used in various industries, including plastics, adhesives, and coatings. They are also used in the production of resins, fibers, and other materials. Additionally, these reactions are important in the development of new and improved materials for various applications.