High speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So whats happening is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action of laser light.

An infrared beam moniters the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. But what is an acrylate double bond? Am I correct in saying that a double bond absorbs IR radiation?
The double bond is the bond between a CH2 and a CH, in the paper that I am reading.

My next question is, why use Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy over any other spectroscopic technique to determine the amount of unreacted double bonds through time in a sample?

Answers and Replies

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

So whats happening is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action of laser light.

An infrared beam moniters the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. But what is an acrylate double bond? Am I correct in saying that a double bond absorbs IR radiation?
That's the one.

The double bond is the bond between a CH2 and a CH, in the paper that I am reading.
Actually the double bond conjugated to the carbonyl is the absorbing species. The carbonyl peak shifts slightly when conjugated to the double bond.

My next question is, why use Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy over any other spectroscopic technique to determine the amount of unreacted double bonds through time in a sample?
You can take a FT scan in less than a second vs a scanning IR that might take a few minutes per scan.

Thank you :)