Higher order derivatives in field theories

In summary, higher order derivatives can lead to problems when you want to define boundary-value problems.
lasm2000
It is common lore to write lagrangians in field theories in the form

[tex]L(t)=\int d^{3}x\mathcal{L}(\phi_{a},\partial_{\mu}\phi_{a})[/tex].

Nonetheless, is there any particular reason for doing that? Why do we neglect higher order derivatives? Does it mess around with Lorentz invariance or something like that? I have heard that higher order lagrangians give origin to a spectra that is not bounded from below (then we can always have radiative transitions to a lower level).

Can someone confirm that or knows of a better reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll take a shot at this one, but I could be totally wrong. You seem to have quantum field theory in mind, but the question seems to me like it could just as well be posed in a classical context rather than a quantum-mechanical one, and for discrete particles rather than continuous fields.

For a classical description of particles, it seems to me that higher-order derivatives lead to problems when you want to define boundary-value problems. If I shoot a particle out of a gun, the initial conditions are the position and velocity. I'm not even sure what it would mean to specify the initial acceleration. I'm not sure that I could even do measurements that could distinguish initial conditions that differed only in their acceleration. Acceleration (unlike velocity) can change discontinuously, so it's not clear that it can even be measured at an instant in time.

In the context of relativity, we expect everything to be describable in geometric terms. Geometrically, two points are supposed to determine a line. In other words, if I specify an event, and another event infinitesimally close to it, then I've essentially determined a geodesic, which is the motion of a particle whose world-line passed through those two events. In a theory where initial conditions depended on higher-order derivatives, I'd have to specify more than two points to determine a line. I don't know of a geometry where that makes sense.

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~gz218/2010/01/higher-derivative-theories.html

Thanks for your answers. Thats interesting, so it gives raise to a linear dependece of H with P1 (one of the canonical momentums that arise due to the fact that we now need four quantities as input). Then we can just decrease the value of H by decreasing the one of P1, so then, no bound from below.

1. What are higher order derivatives in field theories?

Higher order derivatives in field theories refer to the derivatives of a field with respect to its independent variables, such as time or space, up to the nth order. These derivatives are used to describe the behavior and evolution of fields in physical systems.

2. Why are higher order derivatives important in field theories?

Higher order derivatives allow us to study the more complex and intricate behaviors of fields in physical systems. They provide a more accurate and detailed description of the dynamics of fields and their interactions with other fields and particles.

3. How are higher order derivatives calculated in field theories?

Higher order derivatives are calculated using mathematical tools and equations, such as the Euler-Lagrange equations or the Hamiltonian formalism. These equations take into account the field's initial conditions, boundary conditions, and other factors to determine the higher order derivatives.

4. What are the applications of higher order derivatives in field theories?

Higher order derivatives have numerous applications in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. They are used to study the behavior of particles and fields in different physical systems, including the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when dealing with higher order derivatives in field theories?

One of the main challenges when dealing with higher order derivatives in field theories is the complexity of the equations and calculations involved. Additionally, higher order derivatives can sometimes lead to non-physical solutions and require careful interpretation to ensure accurate results. Furthermore, the inclusion of higher order derivatives may also result in more computational resources being needed.