Noether current in quantum field theory

CSpring432
Homework Statement
Finding Noether current for the given action
Relevant Equations
$$J^{\mu}=\frac{\partial L(\phi, \partial (\phi))}{\partial (\partial _{\mu}(\phi)}(\delta_{\alpha}\phi)-F^{\mu}$$
Hi

Have been trying to solve the below question for a while, wondered if anyone could help.

Considering the action

$$S=\int -\frac{1}{2}\sum^2_{n,m=1} (\partial^{\mu}\phi_{nm}\partial_{\mu}\phi_{mn}+m^2 \phi_{nm} \phi_{mn})dx$$
under the transformation

$$\phi'=e^{\alpha}\phi e^{-\alpha}$$

Find the infinitesimal transformation and associated Noether current, where both ##\alpha## and ##\phi## are real 2x2 matrices.

I've managed to find what (I think) is the infinitesimal transformation:

$$e^{\alpha}\phi e^{-\alpha}\approx \phi-\phi \alpha +\alpha\phi+ \mathcal{O}(\alpha^2)$$
$$\therefore \delta_{\alpha}=[\alpha, \phi]$$

I am however, stumped for calculating the Noether constant. I know that I would have to use the formula

$$J^{\mu}=\frac{\partial L(\phi, \partial (\phi))}{\partial (\partial _{\mu}(\phi)}(\delta_{\alpha}\phi)-F^{\mu}$$

The issue, I think, is calculating the covariant derivatives since the phi terms are matrix elements. Any help would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that ##\phi## represents four real fields ##\phi_{nm}## and the first term in the Noether current is
$$\sum^2_{n,m=1}\frac{\partial L(\phi, \partial (\phi))}{\partial (\partial _{\mu}(\phi_{nm}))}(\delta_{\alpha}\phi_{nm})$$

What is the Noether current in quantum field theory?

The Noether current in quantum field theory is a conserved current associated with a continuous symmetry of the action. It plays a crucial role in connecting symmetries of the theory to conservation laws.

How is the Noether current derived in quantum field theory?

The Noether current is derived by applying Noether's theorem to the Lagrangian of the quantum field theory. This involves calculating the variation of the Lagrangian under a continuous symmetry transformation and identifying the corresponding conserved current.

What is the significance of the Noether current in quantum field theory?

The Noether current is significant because it provides a direct link between symmetries of the theory and conservation laws. It allows us to understand how the conservation of certain quantities arises from the underlying symmetries of the theory.

Can the Noether current be used to derive conservation laws in quantum field theory?

Yes, the Noether current can be used to derive conservation laws in quantum field theory. By identifying the conserved quantities associated with the conserved current, we can establish important conservation laws in the theory.

Are there any practical applications of the Noether current in quantum field theory?

Yes, the Noether current has practical applications in various areas of theoretical physics. It is used in the study of particle interactions, gauge theories, and the formulation of quantum field theories with symmetries.