1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higher order functions - how should they be defined?

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    I want to write a function that takes other functions as inputs. Specifically I want to define a function F that takes input 't' (time) and 2 distribution functions, D1 and D2, as inputs (each distribution function itself a function of 't').

For a simple example, if function F is the product of these distribution functions at time t then I could write:

F(t) = D1(t) * D2(t)

So far so good. But now, this is where I get stuck, how do I define another function whose definition includes several F functions each using different distribution functions?

To give an example, lets say I want to define a function G which is the difference between two F functions of different distribution functions. Could I write this:

G(t) = F(t, D1(t), D2(t)) - F(t, D2(t), D3(t)) where F(t, X(t), Y(t)) = X(t) * Y(t)

If not, what is a better way to write this?

Thanks for reading this!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

It's not clear to me what you are asking. You are talking about a "composition" of functions, but what do want to do with it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook