Highlight something on MS word and press backspace

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, users discuss various solutions for a problem with MS Word, including switching to Linux or Mac, using quick buttons and tricks on a Mac, and the application switching feature on a Mac. They also mention their experiences with different operating systems and their productivity levels on each.
Cyrus
I don't know how I did this, but when I highlight something on MS word and press backspace, it won't delete anymore!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP...

I tried this, but it did not work...:grumpy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQOiEqlhkdI&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS, my new best friend!

Funny story somewhat related. I saw a friend of mine had a new Mac laptop. I asked him how he liked it and he said its better than windows. I asked him what he liked about it and he showed me all these quick buttons and tricks it can do. Then I realized that if I were to use a MAC or Linux, I would be like those old people that start hitting the computer with their cane "how do you make this thing work"...<picks up mouse> "hello, turn on please!"...

In middle school I used to think, how do these people not get it. Its soooo easy, duh. Now I've become "one of them" :frown:

I just use my PC for PF, Mail, School, Typing and MatLab. I know most of what goes on behind the scenes with windows. But for anything else I am way out of my comfort zone.

cyrusabdollahi said:
There is only one solution : switch to linux :tongue2:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Funny story somewhat related. I saw a friend of mine had a new Mac laptop. I asked him how he liked it and he said its better than windows. I asked him what he liked about it and he showed me all these quick buttons and tricks it can do. Then I realized that if I were to use a MAC or Linux, I would be like those old people that start hitting the computer with their cane "how do you make this thing work"...<picks up mouse> "hello, turn on please!"...

In middle school I used to think, how do these people not get it. Its soooo easy, duh. Now I've become "one of them" :frown:

:rofl: I love all those relatively new features on the Mac. I especially love how much easier it is to switch between applications. Didn't Windows used to have that feature of tiling files in open applications to see them all easily and choose among them? Or am I misremembering? Maybe it was just open files in WordPerfect or something like that (yep, it was a long time ago, back when you used to keep a plastic strip over the function keys on the keyboard to remind you of what the menu options were). I vaguely recall that being something you used to be able to do.

Geez, Cyrus, you're too young to be getting so old already. :biggrin:

I worked in a lab for a short while where everything was done on Mac computers, it was awful I couldn't do anything lol.

scorpa said:
I worked in a lab for a short while where everything was done on Mac computers, it was awful I couldn't do anything lol.
I have worked on Mac, MS-DOS/Windows, and Unix machines over the years, and I find that I am most productive on a Windows machine. I can shift gears and get back to Mac mode, since I used them for years in a technical-service environment, but it seems to take me twice a long to get little mundane tasks accomplished with a Mac.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I love all those relatively new features on the Mac. I especially love how much easier it is to switch between applications. Didn't Windows used to have that feature of tiling files in open applications to see them all easily and choose among them? Or am I misremembering? Maybe it was just open files in WordPerfect or something like that (yep, it was a long time ago, back when you used to keep a plastic strip over the function keys on the keyboard to remind you of what the menu options were). I vaguely recall that being something you used to be able to do.

Geez, Cyrus, you're too young to be getting so old already. :biggrin:
I was such a WordPerfect geek (writing technical manuals for pulp and paper mills mostly) that I rarely even glanced at the function-key combination guide.

And yes, with Windows you can keep a lot of applications open and just click on their windows to switch to them. As an inveterate multi-tasker, I frequently have 4-5 applications open at a time and several tabs or windows in my browser (Firefox) AND some running-behind-the-scenes stuff for security, etc. As long as you have a fast processor and lots of memory, you can have a lot going on in Windows and not see much of performance drop. For all the hype about Windows crashes and "the blue screen of death", I very rarely have any application hang up and I have never had Windows crash (blue screen) since getting this Dell 8400 a couple of years ago. I keep Windows XP updated, as well as various anti-spyware/anti-virus applications with no problems. Of course, my most frequented web-sites are NED, SDSS, and other government sponsored collections of multi-band astronomical imaging, and those are not places that are going to try to push worms and viruses onto your machine - I hope...

I am ten times more productive on my Mac, over my Windows laptop. And hey! I've got XP, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS X running on here! So the lines kinda get blurry.

For application switching I like to just press the mouseball button or apple+tab.

Mk said:
For application switching I like to just press the mouseball button or apple+tab.

Yes, that's the feature I most like. Much better than having to hunt through abbreviated names of things in a task bar or have to keep everything small enough to see parts of the other windows to click on them...I can use the full screen for everything that way (I keep my dock hidden until I mouse over it, so don't lose that space either...not an issue if I had a larger monitor, but with a 12" laptop that I connect to a 15" monitor I scavenged for my office (or maybe it's 17"...I'm not sure...just seems small), every bit of space helps...I have a larger monitor at home, and will get one for work when I'm ready for my next full upgrade).

I got Windows Vista from my university and I've been using it for about two weeks. Aero is beautiful and there are tons of new features that XP severely lacked. Overall I'm really pleased with it. I'm thinking of removing my XP partition and, in its place, putting SUSE linux.

z-component said:
I got Windows Vista from my university and I've been using it for about two weeks. Aero is beautiful and there are tons of new features that XP severely lacked. Overall I'm really pleased with it. I'm thinking of removing my XP partition and, in its place, putting SUSE linux.

One of the other faculty here got a new computer with Vista as well. He's still dealing with all the necessary software upgrades to get it fully running, and to get a printer compatible with it (his last computer was LONG overdue for upgrading). It does seem to work much more like a Mac. But, it's hard to tell from talking to people around here. We don't exactly have a lot of computer saavy people around here (here at work, not at PF), so I can even use XP more efficiently than they can and I hardly ever use it. The only way for me to know if it's really any better is if I get a chance to try it myself. It actually drives me bonkers watching someone still using menus to cut and paste!

z-component said:
You enjoy beta testing do you? :tongue2:

Moonbear: My best friend has a Macbook Pro and he recently installed Vista using Bootcamp. It took some fiddling with drivers and such to get it working properly, and it still didn't have support for the lights on the keyboard keys or the camera, and he complained either that the fan was always running or that it didn't run at all while using Vista. Of course his OS X installation still ran fine. Regardless, he liked Vista a lot (and even said it ran faster than OS X on his computer), but he eventually abandoned it because of the fan issue.

Anttech: I had that thought in my mind when I set up the dual boot, but it's really stable and, if there's a problem, I can always boot to XP. It's just kind of hard to look back at XP now...

Anttech: I had that thought in my mind when I set up the dual boot, but it's really stable and, if there's a problem, I can always boot to XP. It's just kind of hard to look back at XP now...
I suppose if its not going to cost you money and too much time if you have problems...

I don't foresee it costing me any money. It's not like I'm going to need to buy new parts. At worst, I'll remove the partition and go back to XP.

z-component said:
Moonbear: My best friend has a Macbook Pro and he recently installed Vista using Bootcamp. It took some fiddling with drivers and such to get it working properly, and it still didn't have support for the lights on the keyboard keys or the camera, and he complained either that the fan was always running or that it didn't run at all while using Vista. Of course his OS X installation still ran fine. Regardless, he liked Vista a lot (and even said it ran faster than OS X on his computer), but he eventually abandoned it because of the fan issue.
That's the first I've heard of someone installing Vista on a Mac. Bootcamp supposedly still has some hassles in store even for installing XP. I'd like to be able to install some version of Windows on an Intel Mac when I get my next office computer, just because some of the crap around here only runs with Windows. I'd only use it rarely, so fan issues wouldn't be a problem. But, if it takes a lot of fiddling, that might be beyond my level of abilities with a computer, and I know nobody else will be able to help.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I don't know how I did this, but when I highlight something on MS word and press backspace, it won't delete anymore!

I tried this, but it did not work...:grumpy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQOiEqlhkdI&mode=related&search=

z-component said:
This seems like an odd solution but it's worth a look: http://www.able2know.com/forums/about56157.html

And finally: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901124

If it was the first solution, then cyrus should watch the blondestar video on youtube instead of the stress video. The comments on Able2Know were pretty funny.

Moonbear said:
That's the first I've heard of someone installing Vista on a Mac. Bootcamp supposedly still has some hassles in store even for installing XP. I'd like to be able to install some version of Windows on an Intel Mac when I get my next office computer, just because some of the crap around here only runs with Windows. I'd only use it rarely, so fan issues wouldn't be a problem. But, if it takes a lot of fiddling, that might be beyond my level of abilities with a computer, and I know nobody else will be able to help.

I run XP on my Macbook Pro when forced to. It runs ok, in fact it's the most stable Windows that I've ever used. There are some features, such as the webcam, the lighting and the two finger scrolling on the touchpad that are not supported but other then that it works like a charm.

Dimitri Terryn said:
I run XP on my Macbook Pro when forced to. It runs ok, in fact it's the most stable Windows that I've ever used. There are some features, such as the webcam, the lighting and the two finger scrolling on the touchpad that are not supported but other then that it works like a charm.

Good to know. Since I'd only need to sparingly use Windows for work-related stuff, support for things like webcams and lighting aren't big deals to me.

Bootcamp is the one that let's you boot one or the other OS, but not switch back between the two without a restart, right? What's the other software out that is supposed to let you actually switch between the two? Has anyone tried that? I'd be afraid it would slow the machine to a crawl (I tried Virtual PC ages ago, and that's what it did so I ended up uninstalling it rather quickly...but that was a few generations back in terms of memory capabilities).

Bootcamp only let's you choose between OS's when you boot. A friend I now runs a virtual PC on his macbook (so it's not like he has that good hardware) and apparently it runs real smoothly these days. I'm thinking of checking it out myself one of these days.

Dimitri Terryn said:
Bootcamp only let's you choose between OS's when you boot. A friend I now runs a virtual PC on his macbook (so it's not like he has that good hardware) and apparently it runs real smoothly these days. I'm thinking of checking it out myself one of these days.

You can't get virtual PC for the Intel Macs...it's no longer supported on them from what I've read, and you also can't buy it as stand alone software for the power PC macs either; it comes bundled with Office Professional, which I'm not shelling out that much money for when I already have a perfectly good version of Office.

Moonbear said:
What's the other software out that is supposed to let you actually switch between the two?
You're thinking of Parallels. Parallels and Virtual PC are emulators, so the OS's don't run natively, and they generally run slow (since you're running two operating systems simultaneously).

1. What happens when I highlight something on Microsoft Word and press backspace?

Pressing backspace after highlighting something on Microsoft Word will delete the highlighted text. This is the same function as pressing the delete key.

2. Can I use backspace to remove formatting on highlighted text?

Yes, pressing backspace on highlighted text will remove any formatting, such as bold, italics, or font size, from the text. This is a quick way to revert back to the default formatting.

3. Will pressing backspace on highlighted text delete any images or tables within the selection?

No, pressing backspace on highlighted text will only delete the text itself. Images and tables will remain in place and will not be affected by the backspace function.

4. Is there a way to undo pressing backspace on highlighted text?

Yes, you can use the undo function (Ctrl + Z) to reverse any changes made by pressing backspace on highlighted text. This will bring back the deleted text and revert any formatting changes.

5. Can I use backspace to delete multiple lines of highlighted text at once?

Yes, you can use backspace to delete multiple lines of highlighted text at once. This is a useful shortcut for quickly deleting large chunks of text without having to individually delete each line.