Switching off Windows 11 S-mode

• Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential downside of switching off Windows 11 S-mode on a new, budget-friendly laptop. The speaker explains that with S-mode, apps not from the Microsoft store cannot be used, making it useless for them. They also mention a store employee warning against switching off S-mode, but the speaker is unsure if this is true or just a sales tactic. They ask if there are any performance issues with switching off S-mode and if it would be better to spend more money on a laptop without S-mode. The conversation also mentions the availability of non-Microsoft apps in the Microsoft store, such as LibreOffice. Ultimately, the speaker decides to order a more expensive laptop, hoping it will not have S-mode installed.
Doc Al
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
Is there any downside to switching off Win 11 S-mode?
My question: Is there any downside to switching off Win 11 S-mode?

I'm looking for a new, not too expensive, Windows laptop. It seems like most of the laptops have Windows 11 S-mode installed. With S-mode, apps not from the MS store cannot be used, making such a laptop useless for me. (I don't use many MS apps, such as Office or Edge. I use downloaded apps for all of that and more.)

I went into a store yesterday to see what they had and the "tech" guy was trying to convince me that while S-mode can be switched off, he doesn't advise doing that as the PC won't work properly. I don't know if he's speaking truth or just trying to upsell me something.

So my question: If I get a laptop with S-mode and switch it off, which I think replaces it with Win 11 Home, is there any issue with performance? Will it be just as if Win 11 Home had been there in the first place? (Or should I just spend more money to get one without S-mode?)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are there differences in the physical specs of it and the more expensive unit? That would be something to consider.

BTW, the MS app store has more than just "Microsoft brand" apps. These are just ones that have MS stamp of approval. Kind of like downloading apps to yor iphone from Apple's store. They are not made by Apple.

Likes FactChecker
scottdave said:
Are there differences in the physical specs of it and the more expensive unit? That would be something to consider.
Yes, I'm sure the more expensive ones have better specs. I did end up ordering a more expensive unit. (Hopefully it will not arrive with S-mode installed!) More than I needed, but it won't go to waste.

scottdave said:

BTW, the MS app store has more than just "Microsoft brand" apps. These are just ones that have MS stamp of approval. Kind of like downloading apps to yor iphone from Apple's store. They are not made by Apple.
LibreOffice is in the Microsoft Store. I have not tried it in Windows 11.

FactChecker said:
LibreOffice is in the Microsoft Store.
Good to know. (That's what I generally use.)

1. How do I switch off S-mode in Windows 11?

To switch off S-mode in Windows 11, go to the Start menu and click on the "Settings" icon. Then, select "System" from the settings menu and click on "Switch out of S-mode." You will then be prompted to confirm your decision and the switch will be completed.

2. What is S-mode in Windows 11?

S-mode is a security feature in Windows 11 that restricts the installation of apps to only those from the Microsoft Store. This helps to protect your device from potentially harmful apps.

3. Can I switch back to S-mode after switching it off?

Yes, you can switch back to S-mode after switching it off. However, this process is permanent and cannot be reversed. You will need to reinstall Windows 11 to switch back to S-mode.

4. Will switching off S-mode affect my device's performance?

No, switching off S-mode will not affect your device's performance. The only difference is that you will be able to download and install apps from sources other than the Microsoft Store.

5. Is it necessary to switch off S-mode in Windows 11?

No, it is not necessary to switch off S-mode in Windows 11. It is a personal preference and depends on your needs. If you want the security and simplicity of only using Microsoft Store apps, then you can leave S-mode on. However, if you want the flexibility to install apps from other sources, then you can switch it off.