Himalayan salt & candle wax

• B
  • Thread starter Tamtam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt Wax
In summary, if you want to make candles with Himalayan pink salt, you will need to grind the salt to a fine consistency and mix it into the melted wax while keeping the wax hot. Adding stearic powder or other additives can help lower the melting point of the wax and allow for better dispersion of the salt. Be cautious when working with hot wax and do not add water to it, as it is dangerous.
Tamtam
Ok i really need some help i want to make candles but i want to have himalayan pink salt dissolved in the wax I've tried but just can't get it to work... is there anyway at all that i can get the salt to dissolve? Please there's got to be away... thank you for ur time...

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Not many Himalayan salt experts here , but I'll take a stab.

First dissolve the salt in water, mix the water into melted wax, then keep the wax hot, as the water evaporates. The salt may return to crystals, but the crystals should be well dispersed in the wax.

anorlunda said:
mix the water into melted wax
... in a blender ...

Bystander said:
... in a blender ...

That's right. I should have said homogenized rather than just mix.

It isn't dissolving because himalayan salts usually come packaged in larger grains than other salts. Simply, crush the salt further and add into the wax while it is melted. Stir thoroughly. I knew a woman that added regular table salt to her candles while still warm to make the candle last longer- I don't know if that is an old wives tale or if it's actually true though!

Caution: Adding water to hot wax is dangerous!

Likes Evo
Fervent Freyja said:

Ay! We try to never give dangerous advice on PF. My mistake. Thanks for the caution.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Hmmm ... Don't think I'd try anything cooked over an open flame for more than a minute.

Fervent Freyja said:
It isn't dissolving because himalayan salts usually come packaged in larger grains than other salts. Simply, crush the salt further and add into the wax while it is melted. Stir thoroughly. I knew a woman that added regular table salt to her candles while still warm to make the candle last longer- I don't know if that is an old wives tale or if it's actually true though!

I have tried 3 different sized grains even the very smallest size, I've tried it with water but doesn't work with wax I've tried trying to melt it in the fragrance but dosent work, so I am at a loss..

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Not many Himalayan salt experts here , but I'll take a stab.

First dissolve the salt in water, mix the water into melted wax, then keep the wax hot, as the water evaporates. The salt may return to crystals, but the crystals should be well dispersed in the wax.
Thank u for ur reply but I've tried having in the pot while the wax is melting but still nothing i have tried dissolving it in water before adding it to the wax but water & wax won't mix...

Are you using a double-boiler? How high is the temperature of the wax reaching before you add the salt?

Likes sophiecentaur
Fervent Freyja said:
Are you using a double-boiler? How high is the temperature of the wax reaching before you add the salt?
I have tried double temp not to sure my thermometer won't sit in it so i end up burning my self lol, I've tried adding the salt at the start so there's time for it to dissolve bug nothing

Tamtam said:
I have tried double temp not to sure my thermometer won't sit in it so i end up burning my self lol, I've tried adding the salt at the start so there's time for it to dissolve bug nothing
Its soy wax btw so it can burn easily

Tamtam said:
Its soy wax btw so it can burn easily

Have you tried any additives to lower the melting point of the soy wax that would give the salt more time to dissolve?

Tamtam said:
Thank u for ur reply but I've tried having in the pot while the wax is melting but still nothing i have tried dissolving it in water before adding it to the wax but water & wax won't mix...
Well you are experiencing a chemical fact - Salt does not dissolve in wax.
The best you can do having the salt crystals dispersed within the wax.
Grind the salt to the fine-ness that you desire ie ranging from powdery to larger crystals.

Likes Hornbein, nasu and davenn
Fervent Freyja said:
Have you tried any additives to lower the melting point of the soy wax that would give the salt more time to dissolve?
Probably not, not sure what u mean.. as in using what?

I've tried experimenting with adding natural elements into candles like herbs, leaves, twigs, etc. and found it was more difficult to embed larger objects into candle wax, they end up floating on the top. Same thing with soap making. Maybe you need it to cool more quickly in order to maintain the even disbursement of salts throughout the mix?

256bits said:
Well you are experiencing a chemical fact - Salt does not dissolve in wax.
The best you can do having the salt crystals dispersed within the wax.
Grind the salt to the fine-ness that you desire ie ranging from powdery to larger crystals.
I can try & grind the finest grain i have & try that.. thank u

Fervent Freyja said:
I've tried experimenting with adding natural elements into candles like herbs, leaves, twigs, etc. and found it was more difficult to embed larger objects into candle wax, they end up floating on the top. Same thing with soap making. Maybe you need it to cool more quickly in order to maintain the even disbursement of salts throughout the mix?
But won't i need it more hotter in order to dissolve the wax? Sorry i know nothing about physics & science stuff..i know things burn melt cook basic stuff lol

Tamtam said:
But won't i need it more hotter in order to dissolve the wax? Sorry i know nothing about physics & science stuff..i know things burn melt cook basic stuff lol

No, lowering the melting point means that the wax needs less heat in order to melt. It's also less likely to burn that way!

Fervent Freyja said:
No, lowering the melting point means that the wax needs less heat in order to melt. It's also less likely to burn that way!
Oh ok well ill try & grind the salt to a powder form & see what happens thank u very much, thank u to every 1 for ur help...

Likes Fervent Freyja
Tamtam said:
Oh ok well ill try & grind the salt to a powder form & see what happens thank u very much, thank u to every 1 for ur help...
What do you hope will happen to the salt in the wax as the candle burns?

I'm wondering could you soak the wick in very salty water and then hang it to dry thoroughly before incorporating the salt-encrusted wick into the candle? A salted wick may cause your candle to burn for a longer time, too. Experimentation is needed!

What is the purpose of suspending the salt in the wax? It is hoped that the salt will be carried up in the wick and then go into the flame? It strikes me that the most likely thing to happen is that the concentration of salt granules in the molten wax at the top will increase as the wax is burned off.
Perhaps some substance included in the 'pink salt' is soluble in molten wax and perhaps it can be oxidised at the temperature of the flame. None of this sounds very 'Scientific 'to me. Sounds more like a snake oil recipe.

Likes nasu
sophiecentaur said:
What is the purpose of suspending the salt in the wax? It is hoped that the salt will be carried up in the wick and then go into the flame? It strikes me that the most likely thing to happen is that the concentration of salt granules in the molten wax at the top will increase as the wax is burned off.
Perhaps some substance included in the 'pink salt' is soluble in molten wax and perhaps it can be oxidised at the temperature of the flame. None of this sounds very 'Scientific 'to me. Sounds more like a snake oil recipe.

It's more a matter of aesthetics. I think it's a very good idea, I have a couple pink Himalayan salt candle holders myself that give off a nice glow to a room. The problem here is that the tealight candle has to be replaced every time I light one and tealights don't usually come scented! If she can get it right, they will be very profitable candles, especially if she's using soy! If she were able to suspend the larger granules homogeneously throughout the candle, then it will give off a beautiful glow (being more transparent than regular wax), will smell nice, and last much longer than the tealights normally used in the salt candle holders. There are lots of talented candle-makers out there, I've seen all sorts of things suspended in them, and you can get them in almost any scent! This would be a very good candle in the market.

51gCUa0q8nL._SY300_.jpg

I'm trying to do something very similar here. I need to wax a sodium carboxylic salt. Should I melt the wax and add salt or melt the salt (salt has low melting) and add the wax to it? Please advise.

BioFM said:
I'm trying to do something very similar here. I need to wax a sodium carboxylic salt. Should I melt the wax and add salt or melt the salt (salt has low melting) and add the wax to it? Please advise.
I would suggest using the ingredient with the lower melting point and add the other. If it's anything like metals, you will get amalgamation at the lower melting point of the two. That's how lead solder works with copper and also how mercury manages to 'dissolve' gold at room temperature.
Operating at as low a temperature as possible should help avoid destroying the subtlety of the scent.

Awesome! I will give this a try and see if it solves my problem.

BioFM said:
Awesome! I will give this a try and see if it solves my problem.
If the ‘salt’ you are using is an inorganic mixture there actually won’t be any melting. The wax needs to be as cool as you can get away with for mixing to take place.
a water bath is essential and you should try with small quantities to start with. The wax will probably change with each heating cooling cycle so experiments could waste wax.

Btw , I haven’t used these candles so can you tell me, does the salt that’s left behind just make the puddle of melted wax get a deep layer of colored salt on the bottom?

Likes Evo
Quick update on this! I melted the wax first at 210C. Note the high temperature was necessary melt the wax and keep molten. I added the 'salt' which also melted. However, since the molten salt is denser than molten wax, the salt settled at the bottom. Mixing with a glass rod could not provide good homogeneity.
I decided to make another go at it this time adding the salt dissolved in water to the molten wax. Each drop added popped off spluttering the wax out. This looked so dangerous.
My guess is that my chosen vegetable wax maybe a bad fit because of the high temperature required to melt. Should I try paraffin wax instead? Any

BioFM said:
Should I try paraffin wax instead?
Why not? People who make candles (the ones I know, at least) use a wax that will melt perfectly well in hot water (Bain Marie). Was there a reason that you wanted to use a different wax?

What is your reasoning behind using water in the mix?

If you are having trouble in avoiding the salt dropping out of suspension then I suggest the wax is too fluid - i.e. too hot. If you have the wax just on the turn then it would be thicker. I just had a thought; many mixtures do not have a well defined melting temperature. A good example is Plumber's Solder which behaves like porridge around its melting temperature, you can push it and spread it in that state and it has very high viscosity. Two suitable waxes would probably behave the same.

But why do you want to do this in a different way from how all they do it in all the links I have found?

If you don't like T lights then make yourself some other candles by regular 'dipping' method and roll each layer of wax in crushed salt. There is no need actually to get a mix and cast it in one go. You can use 'safe' wax and never go above 100C.

Great questions here and excellent suggestions too. I have to say that I'm not making candles but I'm borrowing from the candle technology to coat a hygroscopic salt with a wax. Essentially I'm trying to get coated salt granules.

I would probably sound grumpy if I asked you why you didn't start us off with this information. Is this all a big secret? People have been wasting their time dealing with a specific question; how can you expect the best response?

In all fairness I have to protect my trade and I believe that I shared enough info to get the responses I got. If you feel that you wasted your time, I sincerely apologize but still appreciate the your input on this.

BioFM said:
In all fairness I have to protect my trade
I appreciate that but asking the wrong question (which you in fact did, in the circumstances) risks getting the wrong answer and missing out on potentially useful input. PF has a large number of 'experts' who are willing to help as long as they realize that you are, in fact, needing their particular expertise. Candlemaking, as a topic would probably not attract the attention of the one possible person who could actually help you.

I think you will realize that, if you want specific commercially sensitive information then you have to ask in a non-public space. The alternative is to ask a very specific question on an academic subject that gives no clue about its application.

Having re-read the question and the context (and consider the details of why candle making works the way it does) I think the answer to your problem would actually involve something much more sophisticated than just stirring one substance into another. You could try spraying / bubbling / agitating to make your process happen on the scale of particles which would then solidify before having the chance to melt in together.

There are some fancy recipes that chefs use to achieve this sort of thing in cooking and baking. Perhaps Heston Blumental's books would have some ideas; he goes in for special effects in his chemical engineering / cooking.

BioFM said:
I need to wax a sodium carboxylic salt.

I Thought the explanation of what you are try to do was clear.

My thought would be to lower the temperature of the sodium carboxylic salt (maybe put it in a freezer overnight) then pour the molten wax over it. Just my thoughts, I’m no chemist.

<h2>1. What is Himalayan salt?</h2><p>Himalayan salt is a type of rock salt that is mined from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan. It is known for its pink color and is believed to have numerous health benefits due to its high mineral content.</p><h2>2. How is Himalayan salt used in candle making?</h2><p>Himalayan salt can be used in candle making as a decorative element. It can be crushed and added to the wax to create a textured and colorful appearance in the finished candle. It can also be used as a holder for tea light candles.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits of using Himalayan salt candles?</h2><p>Himalayan salt candles are believed to have several benefits, including purifying the air, improving mood and concentration, and reducing stress and anxiety. This is due to the release of negative ions when the salt is heated, which can help to neutralize the positive ions in the air.</p><h2>4. Is Himalayan salt safe to burn?</h2><p>Yes, Himalayan salt is safe to burn. It is a natural material and does not release any harmful chemicals when heated. However, it is important to make sure that the candle is placed on a heat-resistant surface and to never leave it unattended while burning.</p><h2>5. Can Himalayan salt candles be reused?</h2><p>Yes, Himalayan salt candles can be reused. Once the candle has burned down, the remaining salt can be cleaned and used as a decorative piece or a holder for a new candle. It is important to note that the salt may lose its pink color over time due to exposure to heat and moisture.</p>

1. What is Himalayan salt?

Himalayan salt is a type of rock salt that is mined from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan. It is known for its pink color and is believed to have numerous health benefits due to its high mineral content.

2. How is Himalayan salt used in candle making?

Himalayan salt can be used in candle making as a decorative element. It can be crushed and added to the wax to create a textured and colorful appearance in the finished candle. It can also be used as a holder for tea light candles.

3. What are the benefits of using Himalayan salt candles?

Himalayan salt candles are believed to have several benefits, including purifying the air, improving mood and concentration, and reducing stress and anxiety. This is due to the release of negative ions when the salt is heated, which can help to neutralize the positive ions in the air.

4. Is Himalayan salt safe to burn?

Yes, Himalayan salt is safe to burn. It is a natural material and does not release any harmful chemicals when heated. However, it is important to make sure that the candle is placed on a heat-resistant surface and to never leave it unattended while burning.

5. Can Himalayan salt candles be reused?

Yes, Himalayan salt candles can be reused. Once the candle has burned down, the remaining salt can be cleaned and used as a decorative piece or a holder for a new candle. It is important to note that the salt may lose its pink color over time due to exposure to heat and moisture.