Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Himalayan salt & candle wax

1. Aug 25, 2016 #1
    Ok i really need some help i want to make candles but i want to have himalayan pink salt dissolved in the wax ive tried but just cant get it to work... is there anyway at all that i can get the salt to dissolve? Please theres got to be away... thank you for ur time...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:welcome:

Not many Himalayan salt experts here , but I'll take a stab.

First dissolve the salt in water, mix the water into melted wax, then keep the wax hot, as the water evaporates. The salt may return to crystals, but the crystals should be well dispersed in the wax.

4. Aug 25, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... in a blender ....

5. Aug 25, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right. I should have said homogenized rather than just mix.

6. Aug 25, 2016 #5

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

It isn't dissolving because himalayan salts usually come packaged in larger grains than other salts. Simply, crush the salt further and add into the wax while it is melted. Stir thoroughly. I knew a woman that added regular table salt to her candles while still warm to make the candle last longer- I don't know if that is an old wives tale or if it's actually true though!

Caution: Adding water to hot wax is dangerous!

7. Aug 25, 2016 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ay! We try to never give dangerous advice on PF. My mistake. Thanks for the caution.

8. Aug 25, 2016 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmmm ..... Don't think I'd try anything cooked over an open flame for more than a minute.

9. Aug 25, 2016 #8
    I have tried 3 different sized grains even the very smallest size, ive tried it with water but doesn't work with wax ive tried trying to melt it in the fragrance but dosent work, so im at a loss..

10. Aug 25, 2016 #9
    Thank u for ur reply but ive tried having in the pot while the wax is melting but still nothing i have tried dissolving it in water before adding it to the wax but water & wax wont mix...

11. Aug 25, 2016 #10

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Are you using a double-boiler? How high is the temperature of the wax reaching before you add the salt?

12. Aug 25, 2016 #11
    I have tried double temp not to sure my thermometer wont sit in it so i end up burning my self lol, ive tried adding the salt at the start so theres time for it to dissolve bug nothing

13. Aug 25, 2016 #12
    Its soy wax btw so it can burn easily

14. Aug 25, 2016 #13

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Have you tried any additives to lower the melting point of the soy wax that would give the salt more time to dissolve?

15. Aug 25, 2016 #14
    Well you are experiencing a chemical fact - Salt does not dissolve in wax.
    The best you can do having the salt crystals dispersed within the wax.
    Grind the salt to the fine-ness that you desire ie ranging from powdery to larger crystals.

16. Aug 25, 2016 #15
    Probably not, not sure what u mean.. as in using what?

17. Aug 25, 2016 #16

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

I've tried experimenting with adding natural elements into candles like herbs, leaves, twigs, etc. and found it was more difficult to embed larger objects into candle wax, they end up floating on the top. Same thing with soap making. Maybe you need it to cool more quickly in order to maintain the even disbursement of salts throughout the mix?

18. Aug 25, 2016 #17
    I can try & grind the finest grain i have & try that.. thank u

19. Aug 25, 2016 #18
    But wont i need it more hotter in order to dissolve the wax? Sorry i know nothing about physics & science stuff..i know things burn melt cook basic stuff lol

20. Aug 25, 2016 #19

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

21. Aug 25, 2016 #20

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

No, lowering the melting point means that the wax needs less heat in order to melt. It's also less likely to burn that way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted