Historical Perspective of Queen Elizabeth's Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that in several hundred years, the latter part of the 20th century may be referred to as the Elizabethan Era, similar to how the Victorian Era is named after Queen Victoria. The conversation also praises Queen Elizabeth II and suggests only listing leaders who were in office during her reign instead of from her birth.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This won't be news to the lovely PFers who happen to be Brits or Commonwealth citizens. But this floored me - I guess I'd never really thought about it:

the%20queen%20versus%20leaders%20of%20the%20world.png

Several hundred years from now, people might not think of the latter part of the 20th century as the Cold War Era, or the Post-WW2 Era, or any other name except the Elizabethan Era. Like the Victorian Era.

What an amazing woman!

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
What an amazing woman!
Only because she's so old?

You may be making her more amazing that she really is. Your listing has all presidents, prime ministers, etc. from her birth (hence Shyan's comment I presume). It would make more sense to list only those who were in office while she was- that is, from 1952 so starting with Churchill, Truman, etc.

1. What were some major events during Queen Elizabeth's rule?

Queen Elizabeth's rule was marked by significant events such as the defeat of the Spanish Armada, the establishment of the Church of England, and the exploration and colonization of the New World.

2. How did Queen Elizabeth's rule impact England's economy?

Queen Elizabeth's rule saw a period of economic growth in England, largely due to advancements in trade and industry. The establishment of the East India Company and the growth of the wool trade were key factors in this economic success.

3. What were Queen Elizabeth's relationships like with other countries during her rule?

Queen Elizabeth's rule was marked by complex relationships with other countries. She maintained peace with Spain and France, while also engaging in conflicts with them. She also formed alliances with other Protestant countries, such as the Netherlands and Scotland.

4. How did Queen Elizabeth's rule impact the arts and literature in England?

Queen Elizabeth's rule is often referred to as the "Golden Age" of literature, as it saw the rise of famous writers such as William Shakespeare, Christopher Marlowe, and Edmund Spenser. The arts also flourished during this time, with the construction of famous buildings such as the Globe Theatre and the Royal Exchange.

5. What was Queen Elizabeth's legacy after her rule?

Queen Elizabeth's rule is remembered as a time of great prosperity and cultural achievement in England. She is also remembered for her strength and leadership, as well as her role in establishing England as a major world power.