Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History Channel, great review Joking!

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

History Channel, great review "Joking!"

This article at cracked dot com is really spot on and funny to boot. I did find one bad word on the page, so don't read that word. The entire article is worth reading. I especially love their table at the beginning. It made me *snork*. :tongue2:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5720-the-history-channel/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: History Channel, great review

Hahahahaha:

summary_image.jpg

Ah, so true... That said, I tend to enjoy nostradamus and other crackpottery :biggrin:

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

Astronuc

Their contribution to the decline of civilization.

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who here actually watches The History Channel?

6. Jun 24, 2011 #5

turbo

Gold Member

There is very little "history" on the History Channel. Once in a while, Pawn Stars gets a detail right, but most of the time, the producers simply blow each opportunity they get. They have the actors say the stupidest things... It really galls me that they say things like "This gun will be worth a lot more money if it actually fires" because that is patently false. Collectors don't want old firearms that have been tinkered or played with - they want old firearms in as-found attic condition. Period.

The only time I have ever shot any Henry rifle or model 66 Winchester is when a customer had some provenance that made them think that the gun might have been used at the Little Big Horn (there are lots of excavated cartridges from there). Even then, I'd pull the slug, pack the casing with heavy paper, and fire the shell as a blank, just to get a good firing pin impression and extractor marks. Then I'd ship the casing out to a fellow who specializes in cartridge forensics and has a large collection of casing molds for comparison. BTW, don't expect to get many of those .44 Henry rimfire cartridges unless you have deep pockets.

7. Jun 24, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I do when the weather is horrible or I'm feeling poorly and there's not much else to do. I spent years in the antique business, so once in a while there is a pawn/picker/auction show that might interest me. Other than that, nope! There is very little on Dish 100 that is worth watching, IMO.

8. Jun 24, 2011 #7

I watch it frequently. You can't beat the antics of young Chumley, The Old Man, and Rick on Pawnstars. It's The Three Stooges: The Next Generation.

American Pickers is a kind of upbeat version of Hoarders (on a different channel), you'd do well to watch them alternately for a broader perspective on this phenomenon, and Modern Marvels is often just plain interesting.

9. Jun 24, 2011 #8

Evo

I love them, I want their bobble head collection.

https://www.amazon.com/Pawn-Stars-Austin-Chumlee-Bobblehead/dp/B003P44APY

I enjoy those too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Jun 24, 2011 #9

Astronuc

I happened to watch History Channel when, while channel surfing, I found a program on the largest extinction in history. I was a program about the Siberian Trapps. I didn't care for the computer generated graphics, but the information was interesting, as were the interviews with actual scientists.

Otherwise I don't watch it, especially since Evo rated it so poorly.

11. Jun 24, 2011 #10

Evo

Don't ever watch Armaggedon week. :eek: I find the Nat Geo channel much better at history. History Channel is more reality tv entertainment, sans bored housewives, Bridezillas & bimbos.

12. Jun 24, 2011 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  13. Jun 24, 2011 #12

Evo

lol!!!

Let's meet up in Vegas and visit the Pawn Stars shop zoob!

14. Jun 24, 2011 #13

The one that gets me the most is Nostradamus. I heard this one on the History Channel last night.

In the month of wonderful events, give or take a few decades,
    scientists will discuss fine points across the continents
    Never meeting the people they converse with
    calling each other crackpot and asking for citations, please.
    Or LOL at the ones with no sense of humor
    and threaten them with the volcano.
    The fish will greet them as they arrive
    and the Supreme Lard will ban them
    before long.

As always, you can read anything into it that you want.

15. Jun 24, 2011 #14

Evo

:!!) I'm saving this.

16. Jun 24, 2011 #15

There's just ever so many things in their shop to have accidents with! Might be their best episode ever!

17. Jun 24, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Are you channeling Judy Garland, Zoob?

18. Jun 24, 2011 #17

All the time. Why?

19. Jun 24, 2011 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Just keeping my speaker-volumes down in case you break into "Somewhere over the Rainbow"

20. Jun 24, 2011 #19

I miss what the History Channel used to be. The historical documentaries were interesting and full of information. Now its just full of reality shows that are not much historical. Why must it be about reality shows rather than educational content? :(

21. Jun 24, 2011 #20

Actually, before it was the anything but history channel, it was the World War II channel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook