History of Body Binding: Biblical Times to Present

  • Topic: History 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Body History
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 14K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
The history starts in biblical times?

http://www.essortment.com/all/historyofcors_rmue.htm

And it is suspected that men wore them too?

People have had some weired ideas throughout the years.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We are a slave to fashion. I recall my sisters prying my body into my first Playtex long line girdle when I was 12. I was as excited, as I was horrifyed of it. I remember not being able to breath very well if I sat down. It really was a blessing when they went out of fashion in the mid to late 1960's. I only had to suffer with them for a few years.
When my Great Grandmother was married, she sported a 13 inch waist, which was mentioned in the news paper write up of the event. It seems it was some type of bragging right.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Chinese foot binding makes me cringe.

Then you don't like high heels?

The foot binding made it hard to run away. Similarly, I've noticed that high heels are difficult to run around in. I get the feeling they're not made for marathons.:wink: But they are made for some reason. Extra bulgy calf muscles? Protruding buttocks? Weird contorted stance? Yes.

Wet suits might seem pretty weird to whom ever finds one in 2364 AD.
 
hypatia said:
We are a slave to fashion. I recall my sisters prying my body into my first Playtex long line girdle when I was 12. I was as excited, as I was horrifyed of it. I remember not being able to breath very well if I sat down. It really was a blessing when they went out of fashion in the mid to late 1960's. I only had to suffer with them for a few years.
When my Great Grandmother was married, she sported a 13 inch waist, which was mentioned in the news paper write up of the event. It seems it was some type of bragging right.

Gotta love the wasp-waist! To be more precise, the mud-dobber wasp waist.

My sisters used to iron their hair.
 
hypatia said:
When my Great Grandmother was married, she sported a 13 inch waist, which was mentioned in the news paper write up of the event. It seems it was some type of bragging right.

My mom could tell me she had an 18 inch waist when she got married. Even when I was horribly underweight with a thyroid malfunction, I never had an 18 inch waist. I guess on the plus side, my mom would never try to force her wedding gown upon me if I ever got married. (I think she's given up hope on that anyway. :biggrin:) I can't imagine being so fixated on one's size that they remember their waist size from their wedding gown fittings!
 
Moonbear said:
My mom could tell me she had an 18 inch waist when she got married. Even when I was horribly underweight with a thyroid malfunction, I never had an 18 inch waist. I guess on the plus side, my mom would never try to force her wedding gown upon me if I ever got married. (I think she's given up hope on that anyway. :biggrin:) I can't imagine being so fixated on one's size that they remember their waist size from their wedding gown fittings!
I just remember that when I was married and pregnant I had 28 inch hips. I could also, and still can, close the fingers of both hands completely around the upper thigh of each leg.
 
Evo said:
I just remember that when I was married and pregnant I had 28 inch hips. I could also, and still can, close the fingers of both hands completely around the upper thigh of each leg.

No wonder you keep falling and breaking things...you hardly have enough muscle in those toothpicks to hold yourself up! :biggrin: