Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History of Mathematical Symbols

1. Jan 23, 2016 #1
    Hello

I VAGUELY recall reading somewhere (in the history of math), that there were intense and emotional (almost physical) arguments over who would use (claim?) what letter for what purpose in calculus: Δ δ d D ∂

Is this true? Can someone provide a reference? (I could be mistaken.)

(My intent is not to disparage masculinity, but to respond to those who do. My feeling is that such arguments, while ostensibly trivial, reveal a passion. And it is this passion that is not being taught today. And we are sorely missing a middle ground between what is an absurd reaction and what is a passion. However, my memory of this issue could be completely erroneous.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know how "heated" it was but there was a rivalry between Newton and Leibniz over who had first come up with the Calculus and included the notation for the derivative: whether df/dx (Leibniz) or f' (Newton). Since one was French and the other English, it may have been very heated!

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Leibniz did write in French (among other languagues) but he was still German. Probably this did not make the rivalry any less heated, though.

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Back then, physics and math were inseparable and physicists were the "rock stars" of the day. Lectures were sold out even though people had to pay admission. The competition between mathematicians were followed by the general public like sports events.

7. Jan 24, 2016 #6
    One wonders where the world went wrong.

8. Jan 24, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I have a copy of an old journal in which Kronecker reviewed someone's article. 'PC' was definitely not an issue in former times.

9. Jan 25, 2016 #8

Ssnow

Gold Member

Newton used the dot notation ## \dot{f}## for the derivative of ##f##, see " Storia e filosofia dell'analisi infinitesimale " of Ludovico Geymonat (I don't know if there is an english version, may be ...)

10. Jan 25, 2016 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who says it did? From "The Big Bang Theory":
    Raj: Today, Physicists are like Rock Stars.
    Howard: Only without the sex.
    Raj: Yeah, literally none of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook