Hockey and law of conservation HELP

In summary: The conservation of energy may have led to changes in the design of hockey sticks, in order to make sure that as much of the kinetic energy as possible is transfered to the puck.
alicia113
Hockey and law of conservation HELP!

Choose a sport -HOCKEY
a) list all types of energy that you feel are relevant to this sport
b) describe two tranformations of energy from one form to another
c) suggest one way in which you feel consideration of the law of conservation of energy has brought about changes in the way the sport is now being played, or could be used to improve the sport.

MY WORK

a)*chemical potentioal energy
*elastic potential energy
*rotational energy
* biochemical energy
*sound energy
*thermal energy
*kinetic energy

b)Both player and earth’s gravity do work on the hockey stick as it descends during a slap shot, transferring kinetic energy to the stick. The work done in bending the stick during the initial contact with the puck stores elastic potential energy in the stick. As the shot is completed the potential energy of the stick is transformed into kenetioc energy of the stick. The kinetic energy of the stick will be transformed into both kinetic energy of the puck and sound energy. (two colours are the tranformation i believe are correct)

c) I have no idea what to write down on this one. I am assuming it will have to do with the puck somehow ... but i can't really grasp the idea behind this...

Physics news on Phys.org

alicia113 said:
Choose a sport -HOCKEY
a) list all types of energy that you feel are relevant to this sport
b) describe two tranformations of energy from one form to another
c) suggest one way in which you feel consideration of the law of conservation of energy has brought about changes in the way the sport is now being played, or could be used to improve the sport.

MY WORK

a)*chemical potentioal energy
*elastic potential energy
*rotational energy
* biochemical energy
*sound energy
*thermal energy
*kinetic energy

b)Both player and earth’s gravity do work on the hockey stick as it descends during a slap shot, transferring kinetic energy to the stick. The work done in bending the stick during the initial contact with the puck stores elastic potential energy in the stick. As the shot is completed the potential energy of the stick is transformed into kenetioc energy of the stick. The kinetic energy of the stick will be transformed into both kinetic energy of the puck and sound energy. (two colours are the tranformation i believe are correct)

c) I have no idea what to write down on this one. I am assuming it will have to do with the puck somehow ... but i can't really grasp the idea behind this...

As the shot is completed the potential energy of the stick is transformed into kenetioc energy of the stick.

Which potential energy were you referring to here? The Gravitational Potential Energy because the stick started at shoulder height, or the stored Elastic Potential Energy you had just mentioned?

Did you really mean it was transformed into kinetic energy of the stick, or did you mean transformed/transferred to kinetic energy of the puck?

btw: did you choose Hockey, or were you assigned Hockey? Perhaps a different sport would be easier to follow. Alternately, do some research on the evolution of hockey "equipment". Positive changes have probably been made over the years, and that may give you a hint as to which way to go.

I don't really now this, but probably one way that the conservation of energy may have afected the sport is in the stick. You'd want a stick that is as efficient as possible when transfering kinetic energy to the puck, i.e. not oosing as much energy as sound or heat.

As I said, I'm not sure of this, but I think that, at least, its a reasonable asumption.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy and how does it relate to hockey?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In the context of hockey, this means that the total amount of energy in a closed system (such as a hockey game) remains constant. This means that energy cannot be lost or gained during the game, only transferred between players and the puck.

2. How does friction affect the conservation of energy in hockey?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and converts kinetic energy into thermal energy. In hockey, friction plays a role in slowing down the players and the puck as they move across the ice. This means that some of the kinetic energy of the players and the puck is converted into thermal energy, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system. However, the law of conservation of energy still holds true as the total amount of energy remains constant.

3. Can you provide an example of the law of conservation of energy in a hockey game?

One example of the law of conservation of energy in a hockey game is when a player takes a slapshot. The player exerts a force on the stick, transferring kinetic energy to the stick. When the stick hits the puck, the kinetic energy is transferred to the puck, causing it to move. As the puck slides across the ice, friction between the puck and the ice converts some of the kinetic energy into thermal energy, resulting in a decrease in the puck's speed. However, the total energy in the system (the player, the stick, and the puck) remains constant.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to hockey?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless an external force acts on the system. In hockey, this means that the total momentum of the players and the puck in a game remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on them (such as a body check). This is why players must pass the puck to each other and use their bodies to change the direction of the puck, rather than just stopping it with their stick.

5. What other laws of physics are at play in a game of hockey?

In addition to the law of conservation of energy and the law of conservation of momentum, other laws of physics that are important in hockey include Newton's laws of motion, which dictate how objects move and interact with each other, and the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the transfer of heat and energy. Additionally, principles of fluid mechanics, such as Bernoulli's principle, come into play when players skate across the ice or when the puck moves through the air.